Menstrual cramps are the throbbing pain in the lower abdomen before or during menstruation. It is also known as dysmenorrhoea.
- SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- CAUSES OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- DIAGNOSIS OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- TREATMENTS FOR MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- PROGNOSIS OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- COMPLICATIONS OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- MENSTRUAL CRAMPS AND AYURVEDA
- NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- AYURVEDIC LOCAL TREATMENT FOR MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- HOME REMEDIES FOR MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- YOGA FOR MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- Throbbing pain in the lower abdomen
- Pain radiates to the thighs and lower back region
- Associated with nausea and loose stools
CAUSES OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- Severe uterine contraction
- Hormones like prostaglandins
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Uterine fibroids
- Cervical stenosis
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
Menstrual cramps occur due to the contraction of the uterus during menstruation to expel the uterine lining. Lack of blood flow in the uterus also increases menstrual cramps.
DIAGNOSIS OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- Clinical diagnosis
- CT Scan
- Ultrasound scanning
TREATMENTS FOR MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- Medical – analgesics
- Treatment for underlying pathology
PROGNOSIS OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- Prognosis is based on the underlying disease, duration and condition of the patient
COMPLICATIONS OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- No complications in case of cramps without underlying pathology
- Affects the daily activities
- Infertility in case of endometriosis
MENSTRUAL CRAMPS AND AYURVEDA
- In Ayurveda,menstrual cramps fall under kashta raja and yoniroga (vatiki).
NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- Excess consumption of ununctuous, acrid, dry food
- Suppression of natural urges.
PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- Lower abdominal pain during menstruation
SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- Vata, pitta and kapha dosha move through all channels of circulation. Due to the subtle nature of vata it impels the remaining two doshas.
- The aggravated vata having provoked these two doshas, exacerbated and fills up the empty channels and moves greatly inside them or by getting enveloped by the other doshas.
- The aggravated vata resides in the yoni (female reproductive system) and produces different kinds of pains during menstruation.
LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- Ruk,Thoda – lower abdominal pain
- Vankshana vyadha – pelvic pain
- Kramena gada – associated diseases
AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- Sadhya –curable
CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
Ayurvedic local treatment for menstrual cramps
- Yoni pichu
AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- Vathahara – medicines that alleviates vata
- Pushyanugam choornam
- Rajapravarthini gulika
- Dhanwantharam gulika
- Saptasaram kashayam
AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- Vamanadi karma
COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
HOME REMEDIES FOR MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- Heat application on the lower abdominal area with a towel dipped with hot water or by hot water bags.
DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- Avoid food items that produce vata dosha imbalance like cold and dry food, hard to digest. Because vata imbalance aggravates the symptoms.
- Consume easily digestible food items
- Mild exercises
- Oil massage on the lower abdomen is advised. Which alleviates vata dosha
- Take proper rest.
YOGA FOR MENSTRUAL CRAMPS
- Nadi Shuddi Pranayam – calms the mind and gets relief from the pain associated with menstrual cramps
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, and the body relaxed. The patient has to close one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, United States. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please consult your GP before the intake.
Please consult Dr. Rajesh Nair here-
Dr. Rajesh Nair, the co-founder and chief consultant of Ayurvedaforall.Com, is a graduate of prestigious Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College (affiliated with the University of Calicut), Kerala, India. Additionally, he holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy from Annamalai University.
Dr. Nair offers consultation at two busy clinics in and around Haripad, Alleppey, Kerala, the southern state famous worldwide for authentic ayurvedic treatment and physicians. While offering consultation on all aspects of ayurvedic treatments Dr. Nair has a special interest in Panchkarma, Yoga, and Massage.
Through Ayurvedaforall, Dr. Nair offers online consultation to patients worldwide and has served hundreds of patients over the last 20 years. In addition to his Ayurvedic practice, he is the chief editor of ayurveda-amai.org, the online portal of Ayurveda Medical Association of India, and the state committee member of Ayurveda Medical Association of India.
Dr. Nair is a regular speaker at Ayurveda-related conferences and has visited Germany to propagate Ayurveda. You can write directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Whatsapp – +91 9446918019, +91 8075810816
To give you a quick idea about Ayurvedaforall, we are a group of ayurvedic practitioners committed to propagating Ayurveda in its best tradition around the world. Our online store sells authentic ayurvedic formulations backed by professional advice. Now into the seventeenth year of operation, the site has helped us build a dedicated clientele which regularly uses our products and services as well as refers others to us. Needless to say, this has been achieved through our adherence to the highest standards of customer service and professional ethics.