Kleptomania is an impulse control disorder that causes an intense urge to steal. It is also known as compulsive stealing.
- SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF KLEPTOMANIA
- CAUSES OF KLEPTOMANIA
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF KLEPTOMANIA
- DIAGNOSIS OF KLEPTOMANIA
- TREATMENTS FOR KLEPTOMANIA
- PROGNOSIS OF KLEPTOMANIA
- COMPLICATIONS OF KLEPTOMANIA
- KLEPTOMANIA AND AYURVEDA
- NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF KLEPTOMANIA
- PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF KLEPTOMANIA
- SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF KLEPTOMANIA
- LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF KLEPTOMANIA
- AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF KLEPTOMANIA
- CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR KLEPTOMANIA
- AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR KLEPTOMANIA
- AYURVEDIC LOCAL TREATMENT FOR KLEPTOMANIA
- COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR KLEPTOMANIA
- HOME REMEDIES FOR KLEPTOMANIA
- DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR KLEPTOMANIA
- YOGA FOR KLEPTOMANIA
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF KLEPTOMANIA
- Intense urge to steal
- Feeling pleasure and satisfaction after stealing
CAUSES OF KLEPTOMANIA
- Altered level of neurotransmitters in the brain
- Genetic reasons
- Addictive disorders
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF KLEPTOMANIA
The pathophysiology of kleptomania is similar to psychiatric disorders, which is likely due to the above-mentioned causes as well as psychosocial and environmental factors. Also, the presence of an underlying affective instability may cause individuals to respond to maladaptive behaviours.
DIAGNOSIS OF KLEPTOMANIA
- Proper History taking
- Psychological evaluation
- Laboratory tests to find out the level of neurotransmitters
TREATMENTS FOR KLEPTOMANIA
- Medications – antidepressants, antipsychotics or mood-stabilizing drugs
PROGNOSIS OF KLEPTOMANIA
- Early diagnosis and treatment help to manage the symptoms related to kleptomania.
COMPLICATIONS OF KLEPTOMANIA
- Personality disorder
- Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide
- Substance abuse
- Risk of developing an anxiety disorder
KLEPTOMANIA AND AYURVEDA
- In Ayurveda kleptomania can be managed based on manasika vyadhi and unmada chikilsa.
- Compulsive behaviour can be included under ‘adharaniya vega’.
NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF KLEPTOMANIA
- Excess vitiation of doshas in the body
- Increase of mano doshas like rajas and tamas
PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF KLEPTOMANIA
- Intense urge to steal with or without a specific reason
SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF KLEPTOMANIA
Excessive vitiation of doshas in the body due to improper food and behaviours along with derangement in manodoshas leads to irritability in the manas (mind).
LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF KLEPTOMANIA
- Dushtaatmaanaam (unlawful)
- Krodhanam (impulsive)
- Atruptam (unsatisfied/unpleasant)
- Nirbhayam & Shooram (reckless behaviour/impulsive)
- Vyavasaayinam (unlawful)
Along with these symptoms, the person may also show normal mood and behaviour.
AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF KLEPTOMANIA
- Symptoms are manageable with appropriate treatments
CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR KLEPTOMANIA
AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR KLEPTOMANIA
- Brahmi swarasa – juice of Bacopa monnieri
- Manasamitra vatakam
- Shankpushpi churna
AYURVEDIC LOCAL TREATMENT FOR KLEPTOMANIA
- Murdha taila – oil application on the head
- Abhyanga – oil massage on the body
COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR KLEPTOMANIA
- Manasamitra vatakam
- Shankpushpi churna
HOME REMEDIES FOR KLEPTOMANIA
- Enhance communications with family members
- Avoid irritable situations
- Always engaged in activities
DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR KLEPTOMANIA
- Avoid food items that produce dosha imbalance like cold and dry food, hard to digest. Because dosha imbalance aggravates the symptoms.
- Consume easily digestible nutritious food items, cow’s milk, and ghee.
- Oil massage on the head is advised.
- Advice regular exercise
YOGA FOR KLEPTOMANIA
- Nadi Shuddi Pranayam – Calms the mind
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, and the body relaxed. The patient has to close one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
- Shavasana – relaxes the body and mind
- Bhastrika pranayama
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, United States. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please consult your GP before the intake.
Please consult Dr. Rajesh Nair here-
Dr. Rajesh Nair, the co-founder and chief consultant of Ayurvedaforall.Com, is a graduate of prestigious Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College (affiliated with the University of Calicut), Kerala, India. Additionally, he holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy from Annamalai University.
Dr. Nair offers consultation at two busy clinics in and around Haripad, Alleppey, Kerala, the southern state famous worldwide for authentic ayurvedic treatment and physicians. While offering consultation on all aspects of ayurvedic treatments Dr. Nair has a special interest in Panchkarma, Yoga, and Massage.
Through Ayurvedaforall, Dr. Nair offers online consultation to patients worldwide and has served hundreds of patients over the last 20 years. In addition to his Ayurvedic practice, he is the chief editor of ayurveda-amai.org, the online portal of Ayurveda Medical Association of India, and the state committee member of Ayurveda Medical Association of India.
Dr. Nair is a regular speaker at Ayurveda-related conferences and has visited Germany to propagate Ayurveda. You can write directly to email@example.com
Whatsapp – +91 9446918019, +91 8075810816
To give you a quick idea about Ayurvedaforall, we are a group of ayurvedic practitioners committed to propagating Ayurveda in its best tradition around the world. Our online store sells authentic ayurvedic formulations backed by professional advice. Now into the seventeenth year of operation, the site has helped us build a dedicated clientele which regularly uses our products and services as well as refers others to us. Needless to say, this has been achieved through our adherence to the highest standards of customer service and professional ethics.