Daytime sleepiness is the increased desire to sleep during the day. It occurs with or without underlying pathology.
- SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- CAUSES OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- DIAGNOSIS OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- TREATMENTS FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- PROGNOSIS OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- COMPLICATIONS OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- DAYTIME SLEEPINESS AND AYURVEDA
- NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- AYURVEDIC LOCAL TREATMENT FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- HOME REMEDIES FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- YOGA FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- Difficulty staying awake
- Loss of energy
- mental confusions
- inability to concentrate
- trouble focusing
CAUSES OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- Sleep disorders
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Idiopathic hypersomnia
- Certain medications
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- Daytime sleepiness is triggered by many factors.
- Psychosocial factors like depression are also contributing to daytime sleepiness.
- Deficiency of vitamin D along with other disease conditions like metabolic syndrome, chronic pain becomes a part of the pathogenesis of daytime sleepiness.
- The sedative nature of certain medications leads to sleepiness in the daytime.
DIAGNOSIS OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- Proper history taking
- Physical examinations
- Laboratory tests
- Neurological examinations
TREATMENTS FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- Avoid triggering factors
- Treatment of underlying pathology
- Wake to promote medications
PROGNOSIS OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- Prognosis is based on the cause of the disease, duration and condition of the patient
COMPLICATIONS OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- Adversely affects the daily activities
- Increased risk of accidents
- Social and relationship problems
- Decreased work productivity
DAYTIME SLEEPINESS AND AYURVEDA
- In Ayurveda,daytime sleepiness is called ‘athinidra’.
- The causes and pathogenesis of diseases caused by vitiation of kapha and vata dosha, in general, are the exclusive cause and pathogenesis ofdaytime sleepiness.
NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- Excess consumption of unctuous, cold food
- Insomnia – anidra during the night
- Suppression of natural urges.
- Sedentary life
PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- The feeling of tiredness (ksheena)
SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- Vata, pitta and kapha dosha move through all channels of circulation. Due to the subtle nature of vata it impels the remaining two doshas.
- The vitiated vata having provoked these two doshas, especially kapha dosha, exacerbated and fills up the empty channels and moved greatly inside them or by getting enveloped by the other doshas.
- The decreased vata dosha along with increased kapha dosha resides in the body and combine with dhatus leads to daytime sleepiness.
LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- Sada – weakness
- Atinidra – sleepiness
- Moha – confusions
- Tantra – dizziness
AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- Daytime sleepiness associated with traumatic injuries, chronic diseases is difficult to cure – krichra sadhya
CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
Ayurvedic local treatment for daytime sleepiness
- Abhyanga – oil massaging
- Anjana – collyriums
AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- Treatment of dosha vitiation
- Treatment for dhatu kshaya
- Treatment for agni
- Vaiswanara churnam
- Dasamulam katutrayam kashayam
- Varanadi kashayam
- Agasthya rasayana
AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- Vamana – emesis
- Nasyam – nasal drops
COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- Udwarthana – body massaging with powder medicines (triphala churna)
HOME REMEDIES FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- proper rest during the night
- drinking plenty of fluids
- bathing in warm water
- Body massaging
DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- Avoid food items that produce dosha imbalance like cold and unctuous food, hard to digest. Because dosha imbalance aggravates the symptoms.
- Consume easily digestible food items
- Consume a balanced diet
YOGA FOR DAYTIME SLEEPINESS
- Nadi Shuddi Pranayam – calms the mind and gets relief from the psychological cause of daytime sleepiness
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, and the body relaxed. The patient has to close one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, United States. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please consult your GP before the intake.
Please consult Dr. Rajesh Nair here-
Dr. Rajesh Nair, the co-founder and chief consultant of Ayurvedaforall.Com, is a graduate of prestigious Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College (affiliated with the University of Calicut), Kerala, India. Additionally, he holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy from Annamalai University.
Dr. Nair offers consultation at two busy clinics in and around Haripad, Alleppey, Kerala, the southern state famous worldwide for authentic ayurvedic treatment and physicians. While offering consultation on all aspects of ayurvedic treatments Dr. Nair has a special interest in Panchkarma, Yoga, and Massage.
Through Ayurvedaforall, Dr. Nair offers online consultation to patients worldwide and has served hundreds of patients over the last 20 years. In addition to his Ayurvedic practice, he is the chief editor of ayurveda-amai.org, the online portal of Ayurveda Medical Association of India, and the state committee member of Ayurveda Medical Association of India.
Dr. Nair is a regular speaker at Ayurveda-related conferences and has visited Germany to propagate Ayurveda. You can write directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Whatsapp – +91 9446918019, +91 8075810816
To give you a quick idea about Ayurvedaforall, we are a group of ayurvedic practitioners committed to propagating Ayurveda in its best tradition around the world. Our online store sells authentic ayurvedic formulations backed by professional advice. Now into the seventeenth year of operation, the site has helped us build a dedicated clientele which regularly uses our products and services as well as refers others to us. Needless to say, this has been achieved through our adherence to the highest standards of customer service and professional ethics.