Gambling disorder is a behavioural disorder that causes persistent difficulty to control gamble. It is also known as ‘compulsive gambling’.
- SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- CAUSES OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- DIAGNOSIS OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- TREATMENTS FOR GAMBLING DISORDER
- PROGNOSIS OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- COMPLICATIONS OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- GAMBLING DISORDER AND AYURVEDA
- NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR GAMBLING DISORDER
- AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR GAMBLING DISORDER
- AYURVEDIC LOCAL TREATMENT FOR GAMBLING DISORDER
- COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR GAMBLING DISORDER
- HOME REMEDIES FOR GAMBLING DISORDER
- DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR GAMBLING DISORDER
- YOGA FOR GAMBLING DISORDER
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- Unable to resist impulses to gamble
- Irritability when trying to stop gambling
- Anxiety and depression
- Frequent thinking about gambling
- Withdrawal from family and friends
CAUSES OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- Family history
- Genetic reasons
- Mental health disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorders
- Stressful events in life
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF GAMBLING DISORDER
The pathophysiology of gambling disorder is similar to psychiatric disorders, which is likely due to the above-mentioned causes as well as psychosocial and environmental factors. Also, the presence of an underlying affective instability may cause an individual response to maladaptive behaviours.
DIAGNOSIS OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- Proper History taking
- Psychological evaluation
TREATMENTS FOR GAMBLING DISORDER
- Medications – antidepressants, antipsychotics or mood-stabilizing drugs
PROGNOSIS OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- Early diagnosis and treatment help to manage the symptoms related to gambling disorder.
COMPLICATIONS OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- Personality disorder
- Social isolation
- Poor work performance
- Risk of developing an anxiety disorder
GAMBLING DISORDER AND AYURVEDA
- In Ayurveda gambling disorder can be managed based on manasika vyadhi and unmada chikilsa.
- Compulsive behaviour can be included under ‘dharaniya vega’.
NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- Excess vitiation of doshas in the body
- Increase of mano doshas like rajas and tamas
PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- The intense impulse for gambling
SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF GAMBLING DISORDER
Excessive vitiation of doshas in the body due to improper food and behaviours along with derangement in manodoshas leads to irritability in the manas (mind).
LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- Dushtaatmaanaam (unlawful)
- Krodhanam (impulsive)
- Atruptam (unsatisfied/unpleasant)
- Nirbhayam & Shooram (reckless behaviour/impulsive)
- Vyavasaayinam (unlawful)
Along with these symptoms, the person may also show normal mood and behaviour.
AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF GAMBLING DISORDER
- Symptoms are manageable with appropriate treatments
CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR GAMBLING DISORDER
AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR GAMBLING DISORDER
- Brahmi swarasa – juice of Bacopa monnieri
- Manasamitra vatakam
- Shankpushpi churna
AYURVEDIC LOCAL TREATMENT FOR GAMBLING DISORDER
- Murdha taila – oil application on the head
- Abhyanga – oil massage on the body
COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR GAMBLING DISORDER
- Manasamitra vatakam
- Shankpushpi churna
HOME REMEDIES FOR GAMBLING DISORDER
- Enhance communications with family members
- Avoid irritable situations
- Always engaged in activities
DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR GAMBLING DISORDER
- Avoid food items that produce dosha imbalance like cold and dry food, hard to digest. Because dosha imbalance aggravates the symptoms.
- Consume easily digestible nutritious food items, cow’s milk, and ghee.
- Oil massage on the head is advised.
- Advice regular exercise
YOGA FOR GAMBLING DISORDER
- Nadi Shuddi Pranayam – Calms the mind
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, with the body relaxed. The patient has to close his one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
- Shavasana – relaxes the body and mind
- Bhastrika pranayama
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, United States. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please consult your GP before the intake.
Please consult Dr. Rajesh Nair here-
Dr. Rajesh Nair, the co-founder and chief consultant of Ayurvedaforall.Com, is a graduate of prestigious Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College (affiliated with the University of Calicut), Kerala, India. Additionally, he holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy from Annamalai University.
Dr. Nair offers consultation at two busy clinics in and around Haripad, Alleppey, Kerala, the southern state famous worldwide for authentic ayurvedic treatment and physicians. While offering consultation on all aspects of ayurvedic treatments Dr. Nair has a special interest in Panchkarma, Yoga, and Massage.
Through Ayurvedaforall, Dr. Nair offers online consultation to patients worldwide and has served hundreds of patients over the last 20 years. In addition to his Ayurvedic practice, he is the chief editor of ayurveda-amai.org, the online portal of Ayurveda Medical Association of India, and the state committee member of Ayurveda Medical Association of India.
Dr. Nair is a regular speaker at Ayurveda-related conferences and has visited Germany to propagate Ayurveda. You can write directly to email@example.com
Whatsapp – +91 9446918019, +91 8075810816
To give you a quick idea about Ayurvedaforall, we are a group of ayurvedic practitioners committed to propagating Ayurveda in its best tradition around the world. Our online store sells authentic ayurvedic formulations backed by professional advice. Now into the seventeenth year of operation, the site has helped us build a dedicated clientele which regularly uses our products and services as well as refers others to us. Needless to say, this has been achieved through our adherence to the highest standards of customer service and professional ethics.