Childhood obesity is a condition in which gradual increase in the body mass with or without an underlying pathology in children. This condition is also known as paediatric obesity. An Indian research study has defined overweight and obesity as overweight (between ≥85th and <95th percentile) and obesity (≥95th percentile).
- SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- CAUSES OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- DIAGNOSIS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- TREATMENTS FOR CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- PROGNOSIS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- COMPLICATIONS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- CHILDHOOD OBESITY AND AYURVEDA
- NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- HOME REMEDIES FOR CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- YOGA FOR CHILDHOOD OBESITY
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- Puffy face
- Difficulty breathing
- Pain on weight-bearing joints
- Swelling in the face, abdomen or extremities
- Childhood obesity may also manifest without symptoms other than weight gain
CAUSES OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- Genetic factors
- Environmental factors
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Hormone changes
- Family factors
- Socio-economic factors
- Psychological factors
- Certain medications like Corticosteroids
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
Due to the above causes weight gain occur in children with or without associated symptoms. There is an increase in body weight resulting from an imbalance between energy intake and expenditure.
DIAGNOSIS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- Diagnosis through growth chart
- BMI – Body mass index
- Body Mass Index is calculated the same way for both adults and children.
- BMI Categories:
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5–24.9
Overweight = 25–29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater
Weight (kg) / [height (m)]2
- Blood tests – to measure the level of thyroid hormones, blood glucose level etc.
TREATMENTS FOR CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- Physical exercise
- Diet modifications
- Surgical interventions
- Treatment of underlying pathology
PROGNOSIS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- Childhood obesity is manageable with life modifications. Untreated childhood obesity leads to complications.
COMPLICATIONS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- Pain on weight-bearing joints
- Type 2 diabetes
- Liver diseases
- Elevated blood cholesterol
- Respiratory problems
- Metabolic diseases
CHILDHOOD OBESITY AND AYURVEDA
- In Ayurveda,childhood obesity is caused due to the ‘medo vridhi’. It is managed based on the treatment of ‘sthoulya’ and symptomatic management is also needed.
NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- Excess consumption of unctuous, heavy, oily food
- Dysfunction of agni
- Lack of vyayama (physical activities)
- Sedentary lifestyle
PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- Gradual gaining of weight in children
SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- Improper functioning of jataragni effects dhatu agni in children leads to symptoms of childhood obesity.
LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- Increased appetite
- Atisweda – excess sweating
- Ksheena – fatigue
- Sthoulya –obesity
AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- Symptoms are manageable with Ayurvedic medicines
CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR CHILDHOOD OBESITY
AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- Treatment for agni
- Treatment for medovridhi
- Varanadi kashayam
- Triphala guggulu
- Kanchanara guggulu
COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR CHILDHOOD OBESITY
HOME REMEDIES FOR CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- Exercise regularly
- Take an appropriate quantity of fluids
DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR CHILDHOOD OBESITY
- Avoid food items that cause medovridhi.
- Avoid more oily foods, junk foods.
YOGA FOR CHILDHOOD OBESITY
Yoga procedures should be adopted based on the age of the child and should be done under care.
- Nadi Shuddi Pranayam
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, with the body relaxed. The patient has to close his one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
Please consult Dr. Rajesh Nair here-
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, United States. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please consult your GP before the intake.
Dr. Rajesh Nair, the co-founder and chief consultant of Ayurvedaforall.Com, is a graduate of prestigious Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College (affiliated with the University of Calicut), Kerala, India. Additionally, he holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy from Annamalai University.
Dr. Nair offers consultation at two busy clinics in and around Haripad, Alleppey, Kerala, the southern state famous worldwide for authentic ayurvedic treatment and physicians. While offering consultation on all aspects of ayurvedic treatments Dr. Nair has a special interest in Panchkarma, Yoga, and Massage.
Through Ayurvedaforall Dr. Nair offers online consultation to patients worldwide and has served hundreds of patients over the last 20 years. In addition to his Ayurvedic practice, he is the chief editor of ayurveda-amai.org, the online portal of Ayurveda Medical Association of India, and the state committee member of Ayurveda Medical Association of India.
Dr. Nair is a regular speaker at Ayurveda-related conferences and has visited Germany to propagate Ayurveda. You can write directly to him-
Whatsapp – +91 9446918019, +91 8075810816
To give you a quick idea about Ayurvedaforall, we are a group of ayurvedic practitioners committed to propagating Ayurveda in its best tradition around the world. Our online store sells authentic ayurvedic formulations backed by professional advice. Now into the seventeenth year of operation, the site has helped us build a dedicated clientele which regularly uses our products and services as well as refers others to us. Needless to say, this has been achieved through our adherence to the highest standards of customer service and professional ethics.