Physical, mental abuse or sexual molestation of a child is called child maltreatment. There are different types of abuses noticed. For preventing these types of abuses special acts were passed by different countries.
- TYPES OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- DIAGNOSIS OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- TREATMENTS FOR CHILD MALTREATMENT
- PROGNOSIS OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- COMPLICATIONS OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- CHILD MALTREATMENT AND AYURVEDA
- NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR CHILD MALTREATMENT
- AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR CHILD MALTREATMENT
- AYURVEDIC LOCAL TREATMENT FOR CHILD MALTREATMENT
- COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR CHILD MALTREATMENT
- HOME REMEDIES FOR CHILD MALTREATMENT
- DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR CHILD MALTREATMENT
- YOGA FOR CHILD MALTREATMENT
TYPES OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- Physical – harm or physical injury made by a person.
- Mental or emotional – these include emotional assault, rejection, constant criticism, factors that affect the intellectual development of the child.
- Sexual – Sexual abuse is any sexual activity with a child. This includes oral-genital contact, sexual intercourse, exposure to child pornography etc.
- Neglect – basic needs of the child (food, shelter…) not met
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- Withdrawal from friends
- Avoiding eye contact with caretakers
- Withdrawal from daily activities
- Failure to smile
- Insecurity feeling
- Suicidal tendency
- Unusual fear
- Impaired social relationships
DIAGNOSIS OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- Proper history taking (from the caretakers and child)
- Physical examination of the child.
- Diagnosis through laboratory investigations.
TREATMENTS FOR CHILD MALTREATMENT
- Parenting classes for parents
- Treatment with appropriate medicines
PROGNOSIS OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- Early diagnosis and treatment help to manage the symptoms related to child maltreatment.
COMPLICATIONS OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- Behavioural problems
- Substance abuse
- Premature death
- Physical disabilities
CHILD MALTREATMENT AND AYURVEDA
- In Ayurveda, child maltreatment can be managed based on signs and symptoms. Emotional symptoms in child maltreatment included under asura graha unmada.
NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
The symptoms of child maltreatment occur due to the following causes:
- Excess vitiation of doshas
- Increase of mano doshas like rajas and tamas
PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- Intense irritability with or without a specific reason
SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
Excessive vitiation of doshas in the body of child due to maltreatment in along with derangement in manodoshas leads to irritability in the manas (mind). In physical abuse sareerika lakshanas (physical symptoms) are also manifested.
LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- Dushtaatmaanaam (deceitful/exploitative/unlawful)
- Krodhanam (aggressive/hostile/impulsive)
- Unmada – depression
- Atruptam (unsatisfied/unpleasant)
- Deva, braahmana, guru dveshinam (arrogant/grandiose/envious/negative emotionality)
- Bhayam – fear
- Vyavasaayinam (violent/unlawful/firmness/persistence)
AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF CHILD MALTREATMENT
- Symptoms are manageable with appropriate treatments
CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR CHILD MALTREATMENT
AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR CHILD MALTREATMENT
- Brahmi swarasa – juice of Bacopa monnieri
- Manasamitra vatakam
- Shankpushpi churna
AYURVEDIC LOCAL TREATMENT FOR CHILD MALTREATMENT
- Murdha taila – oil application on the head
- Abhyanga – oil massage on the body
COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR CHILD MALTREATMENT
- Manasamitra vatakam
- Shankpushpi churna
HOME REMEDIES FOR CHILD MALTREATMENT
- Enhance communications with family members
- Avoid irritable situations
- Always engaged in activities
DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR CHILD MALTREATMENT
- Avoid food items that produce dosha imbalance like cold and dry food, hard to digest. Because dosha imbalance aggravates the symptoms related to child maltreatment.
- Consume easily digestible nutritious food items, cow’s milk, and ghee.
- Oil massage on the head is advised.
- Advice regular exercise and games
YOGA FOR CHILD MALTREATMENT
Should be done in the presence of caretakers with special care
- Nadi Shuddi Pranayam – Calms the mind
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, with the body relaxed. The patient has to close his one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
Shavasana – relaxes the body and mind
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, United States. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please consult your GP before the intake.
Dr. Rajesh Nair, the co-founder and chief consultant of Ayurvedaforall.Com, is a graduate of prestigious Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College (affiliated with the University of Calicut), Kerala, India. Additionally, he holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy from Annamalai University.
Dr. Nair offers consultation at two busy clinics in and around Haripad, Alleppey, Kerala, the southern state famous worldwide for authentic ayurvedic treatment and physicians. While offering consultation on all aspects of ayurvedic treatments Dr. Nair has a special interest in Panchkarma, Yoga, and Massage.
Through Ayurvedaforall Dr. Nair offers online consultation to patients worldwide and has served hundreds of patients over the last 20 years. In addition to his Ayurvedic practice, he is the chief editor of ayurveda-amai.org, the online portal of Ayurveda Medical Association of India, and the state committee member of Ayurveda Medical Association of India.
Dr. Nair is a regular speaker at Ayurveda-related conferences and has visited Germany to propagate Ayurveda. You can write directly to him-
Whatsapp – +91 9446918019, +91 8075810816
To give you a quick idea about Ayurvedaforall, we are a group of ayurvedic practitioners committed to propagating Ayurveda in its best tradition around the world. Our online store sells authentic ayurvedic formulations backed by professional advice. Now into the seventeenth year of operation, the site has helped us build a dedicated clientele which regularly uses our products and services as well as refers others to us. Needless to say, this has been achieved through our adherence to the highest standards of customer service and professional ethics.