Binge-eating disorder is an eating disorder in which the person frequently consumes large amounts of food in one sitting. It is also known as ‘compulsive overeating.
- SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- CAUSES OF BINGE – EATING DISORDER
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- DIAGNOSIS OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- TREATMENTS FOR BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- PROGNOSIS OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- COMPLICATIONS OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- BINGE – EATING DISORDER AND AYURVEDA
- NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- HOME REMEDIES FOR BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- YOGA FOR BINGE – EATING DISORDER
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- Eating food even when not hungry
- Unusual overeating
- Frequently eating in a day
- The eating behaviour is out of control
- Fluctuations in body weight
CAUSES OF BINGE – EATING DISORDER
- Genetic factors
- Psychological factors – mood disorders, anxiety disorders
- Factors related to metabolism
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
Due to the above-mentioned causes, the person consumes unusually large amounts of food. In case of psychological reasons, overeating is to relieve a negative emotional state. No specific pathology is involved in the case of habitual overeating.
DIAGNOSIS OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- Proper history taking
- Diagnosis through clinical features
- Physical examination
- Psychological examination
- Blood tests
TREATMENTS FOR BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- Medications for underlying pathology
- Treatments for associated medical conditions
PROGNOSIS OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- Binge-eating disorder is manageable with medications and psychotherapy. The untreated binge-eating disorder leads to complications.
COMPLICATIONS OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- Affect the quality of life
- Anxiety or depression
- High risk of diabetes and cardiovascular diseases
BINGE – EATING DISORDER AND AYURVEDA
- In Ayurveda binge – eating disorder is managed based on the treatments of ‘bhasmaka roga’.
NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- Excess consumption of ununctuous, sour, acrid food
- Hyper functioning of agni
- Excessive dosha vitiation in the digestive system
PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- The excessive urge for eating
SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
Hyper functioning of jataragni and dosha imbalance in the digestive system leads to symptoms of binge-eating disorder. In the case of bhasmaka pitta dosha increases and vata-kapha dosha decreases.
LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- Atyagni – excess hungry
- Sthoulya or karshya – fluctuations in body weight
AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- Sadhya roga – symptoms are manageable with Ayurvedic medicines
CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR BINGE-EATING DISORDER
AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- Treatment for atyagni
- Treatment for karsyam or sthoulyam
AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- Lekhana vasthi – to relieve the complication like obesity
COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- Drakshadi kashaya
- Guduchyadi kashaya
- Shankha bhasma
- Drakshadi gulika
- Narikela khanta
HOME REMEDIES FOR BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- Exercise regularly
- Take an appropriate quantity of fluids
DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR BINGE-EATING DISORDER
- Avoid food items that produce dosha imbalance like sour, acrid and dry food, hard to digest. Because dosha imbalance aggravates the symptoms.
- Take proper rest.
- Avoid more oily foods, junk foods.
YOGA FOR BINGE – EATING DISORDER
- Nadi Shuddi Pranayam – calms the mind and gets relief from the over the urge for eating
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, with the body relaxed. The patient has to close his one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, United States. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please consult your GP before the intake.
Dr. Rajesh Nair, the co-founder and chief consultant of Ayurvedaforall.Com, is a graduate of prestigious Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College (affiliated with the University of Calicut), Kerala, India. Additionally, he holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy from Annamalai University.
Dr. Nair offers consultation at two busy clinics in and around Haripad, Alleppey, Kerala, the southern state famous worldwide for authentic ayurvedic treatment and physicians. While offering consultation on all aspects of ayurvedic treatments Dr. Nair has a special interest in Panchkarma, Yoga, and Massage.
Through Ayurvedaforall Dr. Nair offers online consultation to patients worldwide and has served hundreds of patients over the last 20 years. In addition to his Ayurvedic practice, he is the chief editor of ayurveda-amai.org, the online portal of Ayurveda Medical Association of India, and the state committee member of Ayurveda Medical Association of India.
Dr. Nair is a regular speaker at Ayurveda-related conferences and has visited Germany to propagate Ayurveda. You can write directly to him-
Whatsapp – +91 9446918019, +91 8075810816
To give you a quick idea about Ayurvedaforall, we are a group of ayurvedic practitioners committed to propagating Ayurveda in its best tradition around the world. Our online store sells authentic ayurvedic formulations backed by professional advice. Now into the seventeenth year of operation, the site has helped us build a dedicated clientele which regularly uses our products and services as well as refers others to us. Needless to say, this has been achieved through our adherence to the highest standards of customer service and professional ethics.