Anu tailam is an Ayurvedic medicine used in the treatment of diseases affecting the head. This medicine is in the form of herbal oil.
BENEFITS OF ANU TAILAM
- This medicine used in the management of diseases of the head ( shiras).
- The route of administration of anu taila is through nose as nasal instillation.
- Nasal administration of medicine in Ayurveda known as nasya.
- Nasya is the treatment procedure included under panchakarma.
INDICATIONS OF ANU TAILAM
- Vascular headache
- Hair fall
- Premature greying
- Diseases of nose, eyes, ear, throat
INGREDIENTS OF ANU TAILAM
|SL NO||SANSKRIT NAME||LATIN||ACTION|
|3||DEVADARU||Cedus deodara||Reduces pain|
|4||JALADA||Cyperus rotundus||Antipyretic action|
|5||TWAK||Cinnamomum zeylanicum||The beneficiary effect on respiratory diseases|
|6||USHIRA||Vetiveria zizanioides||Antipyretic action|
|7||GOPI||Hemidesmus indica||Reduces pitta dosha|
|8||HIMA||Santalum album||Balances pitta dosha, coolant effect on the body|
|9||DARVI||Berberis aristata||Effective in eye diseases|
|10||MADHUKA||Glycyrrhiza glabra||Rejuvenator Beneficial effect on eyes|
|12||AGURU||Aquillaria agallocha||Balances vata and kapha|
|13||VARI||Asparagus racemosus||Balances vata and pitta|
|15||VILVA||Aegle marmelos||Balances vata and kapha|
|16||UTPALA||Nymphaea stellata||Balances pitta|
|17||BRIHATI||Solanum indicum||Balances vata and pitta|
|18||KANTAKARI||Solanum xanthocarpum||Balances vata and pitta|
|20||SALAPARNI||Desmidium gangeticum||Balances vata and pitta|
|21||PRISHNI PARNI||Uraria picta||Balances vata and pitta|
|22||VIDANGA||Embelia ribes||Action against infections|
|23||ELA||Elettaria cardamomum||Balances vata and kapha|
|24||PATRA||Cinnamomum tamala||Effective in cough|
|25||RENUKA||Vitex agnuscstus||Balances vata|
|26||KAMALA||Nelumbo nucifera||Balances pitta|
|27||BALA||Sidacordifolia||Balances vata dosha|
METHOD OF PREPARATION
Decoction prepared with the above-mentioned drugs in a hundred parts of water and reduced to ten parts of taila (sesame oil). Then taila should be prepared with this decoction for ten times. During the tenth time, an equal quantity of goat’s milk also to be added. This is known as anu taila, used as nasal dropping, bestows greater benefits.
DOSHA- DUSHYA PREDOMINANCE AND ROGA MARGA
- Dosha – This medicine is recommended for the treatment of vata, pitta, and kapha dosha imbalance.
- Dushya- useful in diseases affecting rasa, raktha, mamsa,asthi ,majja dhatu – pain in and around the head
- Roga marga – This medicine can be administered in diseases affecting all roga marga
madhyama roga marga –headache
DOSAGE AND USAGE
Anu taila is to be administered as nasal medication. The person is given a gentle massage and fomentation on forehead and face, followed by the installation of 2 to 4 drops of anu taila into each nostril or as directed by an Ayurvedic doctor.
EXERCISES AND YOGA
Yoga and Pranayama are a set of breathing and stretching exercises respectively, widely practised in the treatment of many diseases.
Nadi Shuddi Pranayam – for getting calmness to the mind provide overall health
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, with the body relaxed. The patient has to close his one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
RECOMMENDED DIET AND BEHAVIOUR
- Avoid food items which produce dosha imbalance like cold, more salty, sour and dry food, hard to digest. Because dosha imbalance aggravates the symptoms.
- Consume easily digestible food items
- Oil massage on the head is advised. Which alleviates vata dosha
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
SIDE EFFECTS AND CONTRAINDICATIONS
- This medicine should only administer as per the direction by the physician.
- It is better to avoid by women in the puerperium, patients having the first stage of rhinitis and patient with cough and breathing difficulty.
- Improper administration and overdosage leads to side effects
- Can this medicine be used while taking Allopathic treatments?
Seek your doctor’s advice if you are using this medicine along with Allopathic treatments.
- How long the medicine can be used?
Duration of medicinal administration is based on your stage of the disease. Before using medicine consult a physician.
- Is this medicine habit forming?
This medicine is not habit-forming. After using for a prescribed period gradually decrease the dose and eventually stop it.
- Ashtanga hridaya, suthrasthana – nasyavidhi
- Shatbindu tailam
- Kottakkal aryavaidya sala
- Kerala Ayurveda
- SNA Oushadhasala
- Study of the preventive effect of pratimarsha nasya with special reference to Anutaila
- Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry analysis of one ayurvedic oil, anu thailam
3. Role of Vyaghri Haritaki Avaleha and Anu Taila Nasya in the management of Dushta Pratishyaya (Chronic Sinusitis)