Our immune system is the defense we have against a host of microorganisms that wants to invade our body. It is made up of many interdependent cell types that work together to keep us healthy. When foreign matter is detected in our body, the immune system recognizes it as a threat and prepares the body to fight and destroy it.
Everyone has a unique immune system. Some people have low resistance to diseases and fall sick often while there are others who stay healthy even when exposed to an infectious disease. The very young and the very old are vulnerable and tend to fall sick regularly.
Causes of a weak immune system
There are many external factors that can cause a weakened immune system. These factors impede the functioning of the immune system. An individual with a weak immune system is susceptible to all kinds of infections and will fall sick regularly. They also take a longer time to recover from their illness. Below are some of the causes of a weakened immune system:
- Bad diet plays a huge role in weakening the immune system. Too much of preservatives, chemical additives, food coloring, etc. which are now a common ingredient in our diet can affect our immunity.
- Excessive alcohol deprives the body of important immunity boosting nutrients.
- Chronic stress reduces the production of white blood cells which kills germs that invade our body.
- High sugar intake interferes with the white blood cells’ ability to destroy germs.
- Inadequate sleep does not give our body time to rebuild, thus affecting our immunity.
- Sedentary lifestyle causes sluggish circulation, leading to accumulation of toxins and waste products. This weakens the immune system further.
Ayurveda and the immune system
According to Ayurveda, in the human body, the balance of the tridosha, kapha, vata and pitta enables in the proper functioning of the biological as well as the psychological functions of the body and mind. When the tridosha goes out of balance, agni, the metabolic fire that aids in digestion is also affected. Lack of agni causes undigested food to turn into ama (toxins) which when accumulated, affects the immune system of the body causing the individual to fall sick often.
Ama and improper digestion is the root causes for weakening of the immune system. Bad dietary habits and a sedentary lifestyle prevent the body from working at its optimum. To strengthen the immune system, Ayurvedic physicians recommend a healthy diet and lifestyle including doing yoga and meditation to relieve stress and having herbal immunity boosting supplements.
Septilin syrup is an herbal preparation that helps increase the body’s defense mechanisms and strengthen the immune system. Its ingredients have anti-inflammatory properties. It promotes the normal functioning of the white blood cells thus enabling the body to fight infections effectively. It helps build resistance to diseases and prevents them from recurring. It has a stimulating effect on the antibodies forming cells in our body thus increasing their production. Septilin syrup can be taken by people for
- Upper and lower respiratory tract infections
- Allergic disorders of upper respiratory tract
- sinusitis and tonsillitis
- Skin and soft tissue infections and inflammations
- Dental and periodontal infections
- Infective and inflammatory conditions of the eye
- Bone and joint infections
- Urinary tract infections (UTI)
Ingredients found in Septilin syrup
Septilin syrup contains ingredients that boosts the immune system and help the body fight infections effectively. Some of the ingredients and their respective uses are listed in the table below:
|Guggulu||has anti-inflammatory properties, helps detoxify unhealthy tissues|
|Manjistha||promotes the healing of skin tissues, purifies blood|
|Guduchi||enhances the immune system, increases the body’s resistance to stress|
|Trikatu||supports respiratory and digestion functions|
|promotes healing, has anti inflammatory and anti microbial properties|
|Amalaki||helps improves digestion, enhances immune function|
|Yashti-madhhu||help neutralize highly acidic toxins in the body, rejuvenates all the systems of the body|
Strengthening your immune system
A proper-functioning immune system provides resistance to the many diseases and infections affecting us. You can strengthen the immune system naturally by bringing about a change in your diet and lifestyles. Below are some remedies that will keep your immune system in perfect working condition.
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks as they impede the proper functioning of the immune system.
- Consuming foods rich in beta-glucans like baker’s yeast, shiitake mushrooms, and cereal grains, like barley, oats, rye, and wheat enhances immune activity against infections and reduce allergies.
- Regular fasting will help to detoxify the body and boost immune system.
- Eating more
antioxidants found in green and brightly colored fruit and vegetables
can strengthen our immune system by fighting off free radicals.
- Getting adequate amount of sunshine enables your body to produce vitamin D which helps to strengthen our defense system to fight against invading micro-organisms.
- Adding some mint to your bath water while taking a bath can stimulate antibodies and kill harmful bacteria.
Modifying our lifestyles, opting for a healthy diet and taking herbal supplements like Septilin will help to strengthen and maintain a healthy immune system.