Arthritis is a disease that causes inflammation of the joints. It is a common disorder affecting individuals of all ages and races. The most common types of arthritis are the rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and osteoarthritis. RA is an autoimmune disease caused when the body attacks its own tissues instead of fighting off foreign matters. This causes inflammation and pain in the joints. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease commonly affecting older persons in which the breaking down of cartilage results in limited movement, pain and irritation in the joints.
Symptoms of arthritis
The symptoms you have will depend on the type of arthritis you have. Rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis are both diseases which affect joints but the two have varying symptoms and require specific treatments. Some of the most common symptoms seen in arthritis patients are:
- Joint pains
- Joint stiffness especially in the mornings
- Tenderness of joints when applying light pressure
- Limited movements
Ayurveda and arthritis
According to Ayurveda, arthritis is caused by imbalances of the doshas, especially the vata and kapha dosha. It is also caused by the buildup of ama (toxins) and the decrease in Agni (the metabolic fire) which aids in digestion. Lack of Agni causes food to remain undigested which then turns into ama. The accumulated ama circulates throughout the body systems. This ama gets deposited in the joints causing pain and inflammation.
Excess mental tensions like worry, anxiety, fear, stress, sedentary lifestyles and poor eating habits are also contributing factors in causing arthritis in people. Ayurvedic treatment of arthritis depends on the type of arthritis a person has. There are three types of arthritis according to Ayurveda:
The vata arthritis – In this type of arthritis, the body’s autoimmune system is triggered causing the joints to get affected. This leads to inflammation, stiffness and pain
The pitta arthritis – In this type of arthritis, the pitta dosha is aggravated causing swelling or burning sensation in the joints.
The kapha arthritis – In this type of arthritis, the joints feel cold and clammy to touch and become stiff and swollen.
Treatment of arthritis depends on the patient’s prakirti (constituition) and the type of disorder he has. Ayurvedic physicians recommend treatments to improve digestion and metabolism and eliminate ama from the body. Imbalances in the doshas are corrected and are brought to their natural state. The detoxification of the body, modification of diet and panchakarma treatments are prescribed.
Rumalaya gel made by Himalaya Herbal Healthcare is an herbal formulation that provides relief from joint pains caused by various bone and joint disorders. Its ingredients have properties which reduces cartilage breakdown and protects joints. It also improves circulation and enables flexibility in movement. It reduces inflammation caused by arthritis. Regular application of Rumalaya gel three to four times a day can provide relief from:
- Pain and inflammation due to musculoskeletal disorders such as sprains, strains, tendonitis, capsulitis and bursitis
- Joint, muscle, shoulder and back pain
- Muscle stiffness and sports injuries
- Cervical and lumbar spondylosis,
- Sciatica and lumbago
Ingredients found in Rumalaya Gel
Rumalaya gel contains ingredients that alleviate joint and muscle pains caused by bone and joint disorders. Some of the ingredients and their respective uses are listed in the table below:
|Shallaki||has anti-inflammatory properties, helps reduce swelling, pain, stiffness|
|Nirgundi||helps to reduce inflammation and swelling of joints|
|Devadaru||has anti inflammatory and analgesic properties|
|Sunthi||helps reduce inflammation|
|helps soothe the muscles and relax the peripheral blood vessels|
|Tvak||helps reduce pain|
|Gandhapura taila||alleviates the pain associated with rheumatism, neuralgia and sciatica|
Simple tips for healthy joints
Arthritis and other mukoskelatal disorders can affect the quality of living. By following a healthy diet and lifestyle you can protect your joints and bone from damage. Below are some remedies that will enable you to strengthen your joints.
- Consuming omega-3 fatty acids found in cold-water fish, such as salmon and mackerel, can help keep your joints healthy.
- Heat mint leaves over a low flame, pound them and apply the warm leaves on aching joints to reduce arthritis pain and inflammation.
- Doing weight bearing exercises can help strengthen muscles and improve joint health
- Wearing protective gear while playing sports can protect your joints from injury.
- Losing weight will help improve your joint health
- Yoga and other forms of gentle exercises like Pilates and Tai Chi helps to keep joints strong and muscles limber while erasing stress.
- Using a cold pack or a bag of ice wrapped in a towel can help reduce pain and swelling.
- Massaging the body with sesame or mustard oil helps to reduce joint pain.
By using Rumalaya gel you can get relief from the joint pains affecting you and enjoy doing things that you love the most and were struggling to.