Giving birth to a child is one of most memorable moments in any woman’s life. Although it is a natural process, it still raises a lot of trepidation and anxiety in most women. To go for a natural birthing process or to do a C section is one of the main dilemmas faced by women. April being the caesarean awareness month, it is a good time to be aware of the pros and cons of each and why opting for a natural birth is the best option for mother and baby.
Caesareans have become a common choice of child delivery for many women. Although it can be a lifesaving procedure for some mothers and babies, it should be considered only if the natural birthing process is totally not an option. Educating yourself about birth can help you avoid an unnecessary Caesarean.
Reasons why women opt for caesareans
Modern technology has enabled women to deliver a child without the worry of going through a vaginal delivery. Caesareans can be done either to save the life of the baby and mother or because mothers opt for it as a convenient option, etc. Some of the advantages women see in a caesarean are:
- They feel it is less painful than a vaginal birth
- It can be scheduled to suit their convenience
- It is quicker process compared to natural birth
- There are lesser chances of the baby getting into difficulties
Reasons why women should opt for a vaginal birth
Nature had intended women to deliver naturally, but advancement in technology coupled with the fast paced lifestyle we lead has lead to a decrease in women opting for vaginal delivery. Below are some reasons why women should opt for vaginal birth:
- The recovery time is shorter compared to caesarean
- Connection between mother and baby is established immediately
- Less expensive
- Babies born vaginally have fewer health problems than babies delivered by caesarean
- Less risks and complications
Ayurveda and child birth
According to Ayurveda, natural birth without the use of any interventions is the best way to deliver a child. It recognizes the need to bring a child into this world in a loving and gentle way without causing too much trauma.
In order to have a normal delivery, a woman should take good care of her body during pregnancy. What she eats and does and how she feels affect the baby. By following the ways taught by Ayurveda, the mother can ensure a normal delivery and a healthy and happy baby.
Ways to facilitate a normal birth through Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, Garbhini paricharya (antenatal care) is an important factor. If garbhini paricharya is done in the proper way, it ensures proper development of the fetus and a problem-free delivery. According to Ayurveda, there is a regime that has to be followed during the pregnancy which includes:
- Maasaanumasika pathya: A monthly dietary regimen is to be followed. Herbal medications, specific for each of the nine months, are prescribed to promote the well being of the fetus.
- Garbhasthaapaka dravyaas: Taking care of the garbha (womb) and doing things which are beneficial for pregnancy are prescribed. This helps prevent the risk of abortions as well as improve the health of the mother and the fetus.
- Garbhopaghaathakara bhaavas: Activities and things that are harmful in pregnancy should be avoided. This can increase the risks of birth defects in babies.
Ayurveda also prescribes balancing the vata dosha, which is in the dominant state during child birth, to ensure a normal delivery.
Tips to have a normal and safe delivery
Vaginal birth is the best possible way to bring your child into this world. By opting for a natural birth, you will be doing a great favor to yourself as well as to your child. Below are some tips to help you through your pregnancy as well as the birthing process and make it the most memorable and joyful experience imaginable.
- Amla, ghee, milk and coconut water are good for the mother and the fetus and are recommended to be taken from the first month of pregnancy.
- Fruits like pineapple, papaya, and mangoes are rich in bromelain, an enzyme which is said to soften the cervix. This can help to induce labor for a vaginal birth.
- Taking water boiled with roasted anise seeds from the ninth month helps in having a normal delivery.
- Reducing stress by practicing meditation and yoga can help in calming the mind. Ashwini mudra and kegels are excellent exercises to strengthen the pelvic muscles and the bladder and aid in a smooth delivery.
- Walking daily of about half-an-hour can help to tone your muscles as well as help baby move into the correct position for delivery.
- A warm sesame oil, Dhanwantharam oil, Sahacharadi oil or almond oil massage in the foot would provide relaxation and improve circulation.
- Milk decoction with specific herbs for each month is prescribed by Ayurveda and this helpful for normal child birth without any anomalies.
- The intake of Thankshree ghritham or Sukhaprasava Ghritham or other medicated ghee prescribed by a qualified Ayurvedic physician, surely enhance normal delivery.
The normal procedure for the preparation of the milk decoction.
Take herb and crush it and boil in 1440ml water till the water becomes 360ml and filter the contents and add 360ml of milk and boil till it becomes 360ml. Keep in a thermal flask and take 180ml each in the morning and evening in empty stomach.
|1||Sida cordifolia ( Bala)|
|2||Ipomoea sepiaria ( Lakshmana)|
|3||Solanum anguivi ( Brihati)|
|4||Desmodium gangeticum ( Sthira)|
|5||Tinosporia cordifolia ( Guduchi)|
|6||Solanum xanthocarpum( Kantakari)|
|7||Hordeum vulgare ( Yavam)|
|8||Chonemorpha macrophylla (Madhusrava)|
|9||Asparagus racemosa ( Satavari)|
By educating yourself about the birthing process, you would be able to enjoy and experience the process of giving birth naturally. A caesarean can never compare to a vaginal birth by any means.