Menopause is the time in a woman`s life when her menstruation cycle comes to a stop. This is the result of normal decline in ovarian function. It is a natural process in the life of a woman. In most women, menopause occurs between the ages of 45 and 55. But it is considered perfectly normal for a woman to go through it at any time between the ages of 35 and 59. If your periods have stopped for consecutive 12 months, then you are said to have entered menopause.
Common symptoms of menopause
Each woman has a unique biological clock which will determine when the symptoms of menopause start. Experiences regarding the onset of menopause can vary from person to person. Genetics and lifestyle of the women play important parts in this. Variation in the sex hormones results in hormonal imbalances which manifest as menopausal symptoms.
Some of the symptoms are:
- Hot flashes
- Change in menstrual cycle
- Night sweating
- Mood swings
- Skin changes
- Decreased sexual drive
- Panic attacks
- Urinary incontinence
Treatments for menopause symptoms
For most women, the pre-menopausal period can be a difficult time to get through. Menopause treatment options include hormone therapy, medications, alternative remedies, and surgery. These help to alleviate or reduce the menopausal symptoms.
Ayurveda and menopause
In Ayurveda, the symptoms of the menopause are analyzed based on individual dosha imbalances. If you have an excess of any particular dosha, the symptoms manifested will be characteristic for that dosha’s predominance over the others. Knowing which type of dosha dominates your body system will help to identify which treatment methods are best for your menopausal symptoms. Identifying the dominant dosha also helps to try to calm or balance that dosha. The symptoms related to each dosha and their treatments are given below:
- The vata types are prone to nervousness, anxiety, panic, mood swings, vaginal dryness, loss of skin tone, etc. For these types, the treatment is to increase the intake of warm foods and hot drinks.
- The pitta types are prone to hot temper, anger, irritability, feeling hot, hot flashes, night sweats, etc. For these types of symptoms, the treatment is to have more salads, cooling herbs and spices as well as cool liquids.
- The kapha types are prone to weight gain, sluggishness, lethargy, depression, slow digestion, fluid retention, etc. For these types of symptoms, the treatment is to do exercises and have warm and light foods.
Many women find that an Ayurvedic supplement with the right combination of herbs helps them to manage most of their symptoms. Menosan is one such supplement produced by the Himalaya Herbal Healthcare that helps women to cope with the discomfort and unpleasant symptoms associated with menopause. It is a good alternative to hormonal replacement therapy as it very effective while not causing any side effects.
Knowing more about Menosan
Menosan in the tablet form contains phytoestrogens, a plant-derived hormone that helps in managing the short and long term menopausal symptoms. It is an ideal supplement for women who experience mood swings, sleeplessness, and irritability or hot flashes. Its main features are:
- It improves hormone utilization
- It rejuvenates the body
- It calms mental stress
- It promotes physical and emotional well being
- It regulates the urinary tract function
- It addresses all menopausal symptoms
Ingredients of Menosan
Menosan is an herbal formulation whose ingredients are effective in providing relief from the troublesome symptoms of menopause. Some of the primary ingredients and their respective uses are listed in the table below:
|Ashoka||reduces excessive bleeding, relieves headache, improves complexion|
|Shatavari||helps in treating the symptoms of menopause like hot flushes, irritability, irregular memory and dryness, is a rejuvenator|
|Kukkutandatvak bhasma||helps in healthy bone formation, possess anti inflammatory properties|
|Zahar mohra bhasma||reduces irritability, relieves muscle cramps|
|Haritaki||helps in treating nervous weakness and irritability|
|Bala||helps in purifying blood, acts as a rejuvenator|
|Yashtimadhu||helps improve physical strength|
|Mandukaparni||improves mental alertness|
Menopause is an important transition in a woman`s life. Cumulative effects of poor diet, perennial stress and lack of sleep and exercise cause our hormones to go out of sync, leading to hormonal imbalance. Modifying lifestyles will bring about a lot of improvement in reducing the symptoms. Below are some tips to help you get better:
- Having a warm oil massage (Abhayanga) half an hour before a bath, can improve blood circulation and rejuvenate the body.
- Herbs and spices such as thyme, oregano, nutmeg, turmeric and licorice have estrogenic properties that help in balancing the hormone level.
- Relaxed breathing (paced respiration) is a good way to reduce stress. Breathe in deeply through your nose and breathe out through your mouth while sitting in a comfortable position. Doing it for a few minutes every day can relieve the tension of the day.
- Going in for an Ayurvedic detoxification program can help to clear out all the Ama (toxins) from the body.
A healthy lifestyle including a nutritious diet and consumption of a good Ayurvedic supplement like Menosan can help you achieve harmony in your li