Many people suffer from ailments due to the improper functioning of the liver. The liver is a busy organ. It is involved in manufacturing, processing and supplying vast amounts of nutrients to all parts of the body. Although the liver is an organ which can repair itself to a certain extent, too much of damage will make it irreparable. The rise in use of chemical cleansers in households, use of synthetic pesticides, pollutants, viruses and excessive alcohol consumption can cause damage to the liver. As the functions of the liver are myriad, any disorder can cause secondary malfunctions in other organs.
Common forms of liver disorders
As the functions of the liver bring it in contact with many harmful substances, it is very susceptible to diseases. The effects of these diseases include scarring, blood clotting problems, obstructions and liver failure. Some of common disorders affecting the liver are:
- Hepatitis – it is an inflammation of the liver that can be caused by a virus, medications, alcohol abuse, etc.
- Cirrhosis – Scarring of liver tissue leading to dysfunction of liver. It is usually caused by chronic hepatitis or excessive alcohol consumption.
- Liver cancer
- Obstruction of bile ducts
The symptoms of liver disease include:
- Nausea and fatigue
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
Ayurveda and liver health
In Ayurveda, the liver is principally governed by Pitta dosha. Pitta contains the heat energy (Agni) which helps digestion. Due to this, a disorder in the liver is usually expressed in Pitta symptoms like inflammation, infection, etc. Consuming too much Pitta-increasing substances can lead to dysfunction of the liver. Alcohol, caffeine and hot spicy foods aggravate Pitta. It is best to avoid these for optimum liver function.
Treatment of liver disorders in Ayurveda
In Ayurveda, undigested or improperly digested food becomes Ama (toxins) and is the cause of many disorders. Because liver is a Pitta organ, it is the origin of infections, digestive disorders and fiery emotions. Treatments for maintaining liver health are carried out by pacifying the Pitta dosha, detoxifying and cleansing the body. Specific herbal formulations are prescribed by Ayurvedic doctors to support optimum liver health.
Liv.52 DS is a liver supplement formulated by Himalaya Herbal Healthcare for the treatment and management of liver disorders. This supplement prevents oxidative stress, inflammation and strengthens the detoxifying power of liver cells. Diseases than can be treated by Liv.52 DS are
- Viral hepatitis
- Alcoholic liver disease
- Pre-cirrhotic conditions and early cirrhosis
- Protein energy malnutrition
- Loss of appetite
Ingredients of Liv.52 DS
Liv.52 DS tablet is a poly-herbal formulation said to be effective in treating liver diseases and restoring its proper functions. Some of the primary ingredients and their respective uses are listed in the table below:
|Himsra||improves liver function|
|Kasani||removes obstructions of liver and gall bladder|
|Kakamachi||helps rejuvenate the body|
|Arjuna||promotes normal cholesterol levels|
|Kasamarda||acts as a diuretic, relieves digestion problems|
|Biranjasipha||speeds recovery time, reduces inflammation|
|Jhavuka||acts as a laxative|
Benefits of Liv.52 DS
Liv.52 DS, when taken in the right dosage prescribed by an Ayurvedic physician, prevents the progression of liver cell damage. Given below are some of the benefits you can get from it.
- It protects the liver cells against toxic materials
- It regulates level of enzymes
- It improves liver health
- It helps maintain healthy levels of serum cholesterol, lipoproteins, phospholipids and triglycerides
- It improves liver blood flow
- It helps to decrease inflammation
A way around liver disorders
Liver, being a multi-tasking organ, needs all the care it can get for its smooth functioning. By controlling and modifying the things you eat and drink, you can help your liver in its proper functioning. Below are some tips that will enable you to reduce strain on the liver and enjoy a quality life free of diseases.
- Having more salads, cooling herbs and spices will calm Pitta dosha.
- Stop when you feel full. Overeating causes your liver to work overtime in producing more cholesterol to secrete into the bile, forming gallstones.
- Drinking plenty of water and having a good night`s sleep is necessary for liver health
- Having a warm oil massage (Abhayanga) half an hour before a bath, can improve blood circulation and rejuvenate the body.
- Going on a weekly liquid fast, having only vegetable soups, fruit juice, vegetable juices, herbal teas and water gives the liver a break from processing complex foods.
With some lifestyle modifications and consumption of a good Ayurvedic liver supplement like Liv.52 DS, you can lead a healthy and fit life.