Most of us must have had at least a day in our lives when we had to suffer from concentration problems. There are other days when we become frustrated at our inability to remember someone’s name or their birthdays or sometimes even our computer passwords. Mental functions decline after a certain age, especially after 40 years.
Most age-related degradations in areas like memory are a result of inactivity and a lack of mental exercise and stimulation. Brain function can be improved and mental decline can be reduced by sufficiently stimulating the brain. Although age related mental decline in individuals cannot be cured, research has shown that people may be able to improve their cognitive function and brain efficiency by modifying their lifestyles by including memory exercises, healthy eating, physical fitness and stress reduction into their daily lives.
Mental health and Ayurveda
Ayurveda considers the body and the mind, though different, inseparably linked to each other. According to ayurveda, the mind is divided into three components (gunas), the satwa, rajas and tamas. Satwa is responsible for knowledge, acquisition and reasoning. Rajas is responsible for the initiation of thoughts like desires, wishes, ambitions, etc. Tamas is responsible for providing disturbances in the process of perception and activities of the mind like delusion, false knowledge, laziness, drowsiness, etc.
An individual`s psychological characteristics (Manasa Prakriti) are dependent on the relative dominance of the three gunas. Everyone has a combination of these three gunas. If this combination has the right balance, it keeps the mind in a healthy state. This in turn keeps the body also healthy. Any imbalances in the three gunas are main causes of many mental disorders.
Ayurvedic treatments for efficient brain functioning relies on the proper diet, meditations, yoga and herbal remedies. Ayurvedic physicians also recommend avoiding situations that cause worry and using techniques that promote release of negative emotions.
Mentat for better brain efficiency
Mentat is an herbal formulation of Himalaya Herbals Healthcare. It is effective in boosting brain efficiency and cognitive functions. It is available in the tablet form. It is prescribed by many Ayurvedic physicians for treating individuals with:
- Memory disturbances including attention fluctuations, disability in concentrating, etc.
- Behavioral disorders
- Anxiety and stress related anxiety disorder
- Mental fatigue
- Mild to moderate mental retardation
It can be combined with other therapy to treat people with epilepsy, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases.
Features of Mentat tablet
Mentat is a safe herbal formulation and does not cause any side effects when taken in the prescribed dosage. Regular usage of this supplement has been known to enhance memory power, reduce decline of mental functions and improve concentration and performance. Its salient features are:
- It enhances learning abilities
- It reduces attention fluctuations and behavioral disorders
- It’s sedating effects are beneficial for people suffering from insomnia and epilepsy
- It enhances dophomine post-synaptic receptor activity in individuals with Parkinson’s
Ingredients of Mentat tablet
Mentat contains extracts of herbs whose properties are effective for proper brain function as well as maintaining mental health. Some of the primary ingredients and their respective uses are listed in the table below:
|Brahmi||promotes mental health, improves memory and intellect|
|Ashwagandha||promotes mental acuity, fights against the symptoms of stress|
|Arjuna||inhibits oxidative stress, enhances concentration abilities|
|Guduchi||enhances memory, helps in building the body’s defense mechanism|
|Amalaki||helps in regulating blood glucose levels, restore body’s vitality|
|Haritaki||helps in treating nervous weakness and irritability|
|Jatamansi||helps in treating mental retardation and mental disorders, promotes mental well being|
|Vacha||acts to rejuvenate the brain and nervous system|
|Musali||boosts the immune system|
Better mental health
Mental health declines after a certain age. Mental decline can also be caused by unhealthy lifestyles. A change in the way you live, the food you eat and the things you do can help to improve brain function, protect against age-associated cognitive decline and encourage focus and clarity. Below are some tips that you can put to use to produce positive change in your lives and enjoy overall good health.
- Use olive oil in your daily diet. It is a great source of monounsaturated fats, which have been shown to actually slow brain ageing.
- Eat more of fatty fish like sardines and salmon. It is a well-known brain booster and improves focus and memory.
- Stimulate the brain by doing memory exercises such as crossword puzzles and brainteasers.
- Relaxed breathing (paced respiration) is a good way to reduce stress. Breathe in deeply through your nose and breathe out through your mouth while sitting in a comfortable position. Doing it for a few minutes every day can relieve the tension of the day.
- Practicing light meditation for about 20 minutes every day improves vital cognitive functions like concentration and memory.
By adopting a healthy lifestyle including a nutritious diet and consumption of a good Ayurvedic supplement like Mentat can help keep your mind clear, alert and focused and improve your overall mental performance.