Sebaceous cysts are noncancerous lumps that commonly develop beneath the skin. It is also called ‘wen’.
- SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- CAUSES OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- DIAGNOSIS OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- TREATMENTS FOR SEBACEOUS CYST
- PROGNOSIS OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- COMPLICATIONS OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- SEBACEOUS CYST AND AYURVEDA
- NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR SEBACEOUS CYST
- AYURVEDIC LOCAL TREATMENT FOR SEBACEOUS CYST
- AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR SEBACEOUS CYST
- AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR SEBACEOUS CYST
- COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR SEBACEOUS CYST
- HOME REMEDIES FOR SEBACEOUS CYST
- DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR SEBACEOUS CYST
- YOGA FOR SEBACEOUS CYST
- RESEARCH PAPERS ON AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT OF SEBACEOUS CYST
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- Lump with central blackhead
- Generally painless
- Soft to touch
- When infected it becomes tender, red and foul-smelling drainage occur
CAUSES OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- Blockage in the sebaceous duct
- Damaged or deformed sebaceous duct
- Genetic diseases like Gardner’s syndrome
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF SEBACEOUS CYST
The sebaceous gland produces sebum that gives oil coating to the skin and hair. Sebaceous cysts are formed when there is stagnation of sebum occurs due to the above-mentioned causes.
DIAGNOSIS OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- CT scan
- Punch biopsy
TREATMENTS FOR SEBACEOUS CYST
- Surgical removal of cyst – conventional wide excision, minimal excision
- Treatment of underlying pathology
PROGNOSIS OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- Generally, it resolves spontaneously over time. If it is infected need treatment and a complete cure occur.
COMPLICATIONS OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- Infected sebaceous cysts become painful.
SEBACEOUS CYST AND AYURVEDA
In Ayurveda, sebaceous cysts correlate with the Medoj Granthi based on characteristic similarities.
NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- Excess consumption of unctuous, oily, cold food
- Suppression of natural urges.
PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- Painless lumps beneath the twak (skin)
SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- Medas is one of the saptadhatus of the human body. When medo vridhi occur medas accumulated below the skin in different forms. Sebaceous cysts are such an accumulation beneath the skin. Associated with pitta dosha, paka or inflammation occurs.
LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- Painless lumps – grandhi (without paka or inflammation)
- Redness – raktha varna
- Swelling – sopha
AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- Sebaceous cysts associated with traumatic injuries to the sebaceous duct is difficult to cure – krichra sadhya
CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR SEBACEOUS CYST
Ayurvedic local treatment for SEBACEOUS CYST
- Svedam – local fermentation ( before paka)
- Sopha (swelling) relieving lepa application
AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR SEBACEOUS CYST
- Patoladi kashayam
- Gandha tailam along with milk
- Triphala guggulu
- Kanchanara guggulu
- Chitrakadi vati
- Dasanga lepa
AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR SEBACEOUS CYST
- Virechanam – purgation
COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR SEBACEOUS CYST
HOME REMEDIES FOR SEBACEOUS CYST
- Heat application on the affected area with a towel dipped in hot water
DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR SEBACEOUS CYST
- Avoid food items like cold and dry food, hard to digest.
- Consume easily digestible food items, cow’s milk
- Cold application on inflamed area advised. Which alleviates pitta dosha
YOGA FOR SEBACEOUS CYST
- Nadi Shuddi Pranayam – calms the mind and gets relief from irritations associated with sebaceous cysts
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, and the body relaxed. The patient has to close one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
RESEARCH PAPERS ON AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT OF SEBACEOUS CYST
- A Clinical Management of Sebaceous Cyst with Dashang Lepa and Chitrakadi Vati
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, United States. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please consult your GP before the intake.
Please consult Dr. Rajesh Nair here-
Dr. Rajesh Nair, the co-founder and chief consultant of Ayurvedaforall.Com, is a graduate of prestigious Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College (affiliated with the University of Calicut), Kerala, India. Additionally, he holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy from Annamalai University.
Dr. Nair offers consultation at two busy clinics in and around Haripad, Alleppey, Kerala, the southern state famous worldwide for authentic ayurvedic treatment and physicians. While offering consultation on all aspects of ayurvedic treatments Dr. Nair has a special interest in Panchkarma, Yoga, and Massage.
Through Ayurvedaforall, Dr. Nair offers online consultation to patients worldwide and has served hundreds of patients over the last 20 years. In addition to his Ayurvedic practice, he is the chief editor of ayurveda-amai.org, the online portal of Ayurveda Medical Association of India, and the state committee member of Ayurveda Medical Association of India.
Dr. Nair is a regular speaker at Ayurveda-related conferences and has visited Germany to propagate Ayurveda. You can write directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Whatsapp – +91 9446918019, +91 8075810816
To give you a quick idea about Ayurvedaforall, we are a group of ayurvedic practitioners committed to propagating Ayurveda in its best tradition around the world. Our online store sells authentic ayurvedic formulations backed by professional advice. Now into the seventeenth year of operation, the site has helped us build a dedicated clientele which regularly uses our products and services as well as refers others to us. Needless to say, this has been achieved through our adherence to the highest standards of customer service and professional ethics.