A pilonidal cyst is the sac or pocket of skin formed near the tailbone. This is also called “pilonidal sinus”.
- SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF PILONIDAL CYST
- CAUSES OF PILONIDAL CYST
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF PILONIDAL CYST
- DIAGNOSIS OF PILONIDAL CYST
- TREATMENTS FOR PILONIDAL CYST
- PROGNOSIS OF PILONIDAL CYST
- COMPLICATIONS OF PILONIDAL CYST
- PILONIDAL CYST AND AYURVEDA
- NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF PILONIDAL CYST
- PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF PILONIDAL CYST
- SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF PILONIDAL CYST
- LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF PILONIDAL CYST
- AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF PILONIDAL CYST
- CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR PILONIDAL CYST
- AYURVEDIC LOCAL TREATMENT FOR PILONIDAL CYST
- AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR PILONIDAL CYST
- AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR PILONIDAL CYST
- COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR PILONIDAL CYST
- HOME REMEDIES FOR PILONIDAL CYST
- DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR PILONIDAL CYST
- YOGA FOR PILONIDAL CYST
- RESEARCH PAPERS ON AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT OF PILONIDAL CYST
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF PILONIDAL CYST
The symptoms of an infected pilonidal cyst are:
CAUSES OF PILONIDAL CYST
- The exact cause is not known
- Excess ingrown hair growth in the crease of the buttocks is the major cause of developing pilonidal cyst.
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF PILONIDAL CYST
The ingrown hair growth in the crease of the buttocks leads to skin irritations and infection. The repeated skin infection causes the development of a cyst. If untreated the cyst becomes infected and developed into an abscess or sinus.
DIAGNOSIS OF PILONIDAL CYST
- PHYSICAL EXAMINATIONS
- CT scan
- MRI scan
TREATMENTS FOR PILONIDAL CYST
- Draining of the cyst
- Surgical interventions
- Treatment of underlying pathology
- Wound cleaning and dressing
- Laser therapy
PROGNOSIS OF PILONIDAL CYST
- Prognosis is based on the stage of the cyst, size of the sinus, and condition of the patient
COMPLICATIONS OF PILONIDAL CYST
- Chronic infection
- Development of squamous cell carcinoma
PILONIDAL CYST AND AYURVEDA
- In Ayurveda, the infected pilonidal cyst is managed based on the treatment of “dushtavrana” and “naadi vrana”
NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF PILONIDAL CYST
- Excess consumption of ununctuous, dry food
- Prolonged sitting
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Excess hair growth at the region of the tailbone
- Suppression of natural urges.
PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF PILONIDAL CYST
- Skin irritation and infection
SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF PILONIDAL CYST
By analysing of the pathogenesis, it is more specifically related to “shalyaja naadi vrana”. Repeated hair irritation causes the development of cysts and the sinus (nadi). If the nadi gets infected lead to vrana (abscess).
LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF PILONIDAL CYST
- Toda –pain
- Sopha – swelling
- Vrana – ulcer
- Srava – discharge
AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF PILONIDAL CYST
- Symptoms are manageable with Ayurvedic treatments
CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR PILONIDAL CYST
Ayurvedic local treatment for pilonidal cyst
- Kshara suthra
AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR PILONIDAL CYST
- Triphala guggulu
- Guggulu panchapalam churnam
- Guduchyadi kashaya
COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR PILONIDAL CYST
HOME REMEDIES FOR PILONIDAL CYST
- Remove the excess hair from the site
- Apply a hot, wet compress
DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR PILONIDAL CYST
- Avoid food items that produce dosha imbalance like ununtuous and dry food, hard to digest. Because dosha imbalance aggravates the symptoms.
- Consume easily digestible food items, cow’s milk
- Avoid chances of prolonged sitting
YOGA FOR PILONIDAL CYST
- Nadi Shuddi Pranayam – calms the mind and gets relief from aches and pains
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, and the body relaxed. The patient has to close one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
- Savasana – relaxes body and mind
RESEARCH PAPERS ON AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT OF PILONIDAL CYST
- Management of pilonidal sinus by Kshar Sutra, a minimally invasive treatment
2. Pilonidal sinus (Nadi vrana): A case study
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, United States. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please consult your GP before the intake.
Please consult Dr. Rajesh Nair here-
Dr. Rajesh Nair, the co-founder and chief consultant of Ayurvedaforall.Com, is a graduate of prestigious Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College (affiliated with the University of Calicut), Kerala, India. Additionally, he holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy from Annamalai University.
Dr. Nair offers consultation at two busy clinics in and around Haripad, Alleppey, Kerala, the southern state famous worldwide for authentic ayurvedic treatment and physicians. While offering consultation on all aspects of ayurvedic treatments Dr. Nair has a special interest in Panchkarma, Yoga, and Massage.
Through Ayurvedaforall, Dr. Nair offers online consultation to patients worldwide and has served hundreds of patients over the last 20 years. In addition to his Ayurvedic practice, he is the chief editor of ayurveda-amai.org, the online portal of Ayurveda Medical Association of India, and the state committee member of Ayurveda Medical Association of India.
Dr. Nair is a regular speaker at Ayurveda-related conferences and has visited Germany to propagate Ayurveda. You can write directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Whatsapp – +91 9446918019, +91 8075810816
To give you a quick idea about Ayurvedaforall, we are a group of ayurvedic practitioners committed to propagating Ayurveda in its best tradition around the world. Our online store sells authentic ayurvedic formulations backed by professional advice. Now into the seventeenth year of operation, the site has helped us build a dedicated clientele which regularly uses our products and services as well as refers others to us. Needless to say, this has been achieved through our adherence to the highest standards of customer service and professional ethics.