Muscle cramp is the painful involuntary contraction of a muscle that occurs with or without an underlying disease. Pain is an unpleasant sensation triggered by the nervous system.
- SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- CAUSES OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- DIAGNOSIS OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- TREATMENTS FOR MUSCLE CRAMP
- PROGNOSIS OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- COMPLICATIONS OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- MUSCLE CRAMP AND AYURVEDA
- NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR MUSCLE CRAMP
- AYURVEDIC LOCAL TREATMENT FOR MUSCLE CRAMP
- AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR MUSCLE CRAMP
- AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR MUSCLE CRAMP
- COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR MUSCLE CRAMP
- HOME REMEDIES FOR MUSCLE CRAMP
- DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR MUSCLE CRAMP
- YOGA FOR MUSCLE CRAMP
- RESEARCH PAPERS ON AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT OF MUSCLE CRAMP
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- Sudden onset of sharp pain in the muscle
- Particularly in the calf of the leg
- Associated with muscle weakness
CAUSES OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- Strenuous physical exercise
- During pregnancy
- Mineral depletion
- Inadequate blood supply
- Nerve compression
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF MUSCLE CRAMP
Due to the above-mentioned causes, involuntary contraction occurs in the muscle particularly in the calf muscles and finally, symptoms are manifested.
DIAGNOSIS OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- Laboratory tests
- Musculoskeletal examinations
- Neurological examinations
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
TREATMENTS FOR MUSCLE CRAMP
- Muscle relaxing medications
- Treatment of underlying pathology
- Cold or hot compress
- Mineral supplements
PROGNOSIS OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- Prognosis is based on the underlying pathology and condition of the patient
COMPLICATIONS OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- Generally, muscle cramp not cause any complications
- It needs special care and medications if the underlying disease is serious
MUSCLE CRAMP AND AYURVEDA
- In Ayurveda,muscle cramp falls under Vata vyadhi or a Vata dosha imbalance disorder. It is associated with “mamsa dhatu dushti” (vitiation of muscle tissue).
- Vata vyadhi can be correlated to neurological or neuromuscular disorders. The causes and pathogenesis of diseases caused by vitiation of Vata dosha, in general, are the exclusive cause and pathogenesis ofpain, numbness, weakness.
NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- Excess consumption of ununctuous, cold food
- Excessive physical exercise (Athivyayama)
- Suppression of natural urges.
PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- Sudden sharp pain in the affected muscle
SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- Vata, pitta and kapha dosha move through all channels of circulation. Due to the subtle nature of vata it impels the remaining two doshas.
- The aggravated vata having provoked these two doshas, exacerbated and fills up the empty channels and moves greatly inside them or by getting enveloped by the other doshas.
- The aggravated vata resides in the limbs associated with mamsa dhatu dushti and produces different kinds of aches and pains in limbs.
LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- Toda – sharp pain
- Sada – weakness
AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- Sukha sadya – easy to cure
CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR MUSCLE CRAMP
Ayurvedic local treatment for muscle cramp
- Svedam – Fermentation
- Pain-relieving lepa application
- Abhyanga – oil massaging
AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR MUSCLE CRAMP
- Laksha guggulu
- Trayodasanga guggulu
- Mahayogaraja guggulu
- Dhanwantharam gulika
AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR MUSCLE CRAMP
- VASTHI – Medicated enema
COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR MUSCLE CRAMP
- Snehadhara – with balaswagandha tailam and ksheerabala tailam
- Shashtika Sali panda sweda
HOME REMEDIES FOR MUSCLE CRAMP
- Proper rest
- Drinking plenty of fluids
- Bathing in warm water
- Body massaging
DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR MUSCLE CRAMP
- Avoid food items that produce vata dosha imbalance like cold and dry food, hard to digest. Because vata imbalance aggravates the symptoms.
- Consume easily digestible food items, cow’s milk
- Avoid heavy exercises which further aggravate the conditions.
- Oil massage on the whole body is advised. That alleviates vata dosha.
- Take proper rest.
YOGA FOR MUSCLE CRAMP
- Nadi Shuddi Pranayam – calms the mind and gets relief from aches and pains
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, and the body relaxed. The patient has to close one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
- Savasana – relaxes body and mind
RESEARCH PAPERS ON AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT OF MUSCLE CRAMP
- Pain management through ayurveda
- Various methods of pain management in ayurveda- a review article
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, United States. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please consult your GP before the intake.
Please consult Dr. Rajesh Nair here-
Dr. Rajesh Nair, the co-founder and chief consultant of Ayurvedaforall.Com, is a graduate of prestigious Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College (affiliated with the University of Calicut), Kerala, India. Additionally, he holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy from Annamalai University.
Dr. Nair offers consultation at two busy clinics in and around Haripad, Alleppey, Kerala, the southern state famous worldwide for authentic ayurvedic treatment and physicians. While offering consultation on all aspects of ayurvedic treatments Dr. Nair has a special interest in Panchkarma, Yoga, and Massage.
Through Ayurvedaforall, Dr. Nair offers online consultation to patients worldwide and has served hundreds of patients over the last 20 years. In addition to his Ayurvedic practice, he is the chief editor of ayurveda-amai.org, the online portal of Ayurveda Medical Association of India, and the state committee member of Ayurveda Medical Association of India.
Dr. Nair is a regular speaker at Ayurveda-related conferences and has visited Germany to propagate Ayurveda. You can write directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Whatsapp – +91 9446918019, +91 8075810816
To give you a quick idea about Ayurvedaforall, we are a group of ayurvedic practitioners committed to propagating Ayurveda in its best tradition around the world. Our online store sells authentic ayurvedic formulations backed by professional advice. Now into the seventeenth year of operation, the site has helped us build a dedicated clientele which regularly uses our products and services as well as refers others to us. Needless to say, this has been achieved through our adherence to the highest standards of customer service and professional ethics.