Headache is a common disease experienced by many people. The causes of headaches are simple to complex. Cough headache is triggered by coughing, sneezing, crying etc.
- SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF COUGH HEADACHES
- CAUSES OF COUGH HEADACHES
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF COUGH HEADACHES
- DIAGNOSIS OF COUGH HEADACHES
- TREATMENTS FOR COUGH HEADACHES
- PROGNOSIS OF COUGH HEADACHES
- COMPLICATIONS OF COUGH HEADACHES
- COUGH HEADACHES AND AYURVEDA
- NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF COUGH HEADACHES
- PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF COUGH HEADACHES
- SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF COUGH HEADACHES
- LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF COUGH HEADACHES
- AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF COUGH HEADACHES
- CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR COUGH HEADACHES
- AYURVEDIC LOCAL TREATMENT FOR COUGH HEADACHES
- AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR COUGH HEADACHES
- AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR COUGH HEADACHES
- COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR COUGH HEADACHES
- HOME REMEDIES FOR COUGH HEADACHES
- DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR COUGH HEADACHES
- YOGA FOR COUGH HEADACHES
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF COUGH HEADACHES
- Dull to Excruciating pain on front and sides of the head
- Pain may radiate to other areas of your face and neck
- Pain starts just after coughing
- The pain may last for hours
CAUSES OF COUGH HEADACHES
- Primary cough headache – without an underlying pathology
- Secondary cough headache – due to an underlying pathology
- Defects in blood vessels in the brain
- Brain tumour
- Skull deformities
- Leakage of cerebrospinal fluid
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF COUGH HEADACHES
The pathophysiology of headaches is based on different mechanisms. These include vascular dilation, trigeminal nerve stimulation, circadian effects, Histamine release, increased blood pressure, an increase in mast cells and autonomic nervous system activation. In case of cough headache, the increased abdominal pressure during coughing further increases the pressure inside the head and finally, headache manifested.
DIAGNOSIS OF COUGH HEADACHES
- Proper history taking
- Neurological examinations
- Imaging techniques like CT scan and MRI
- Monitoring blood pressure
TREATMENTS FOR COUGH HEADACHES
- Pain-relieving medications
- Treatment for underlying pathology
- Blood pressure-lowering agents
PROGNOSIS OF COUGH HEADACHES
- In primary headache symptoms are manageable with medications
- Prognosis of secondary headache is based on the underlying pathology
COMPLICATIONS OF COUGH HEADACHES
- Frequent attacks of headache during straining interfere with the daily activities and lifestyle
COUGH HEADACHES AND AYURVEDA
- In Ayurveda,cough headaches fall under shirasoola
- As per ayurveda the types of headaches are vatika, paithika, kaphaja, sannipathika, krimija suryavarta, anandavata, ardhavabhedaka, shankhaka
NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF COUGH HEADACHES
- Excess consumption of ununctuous, dry, acrid, cold food
- Excessive physical exercise
- Suppression of natural urges
PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF COUGH HEADACHES
- Dull ache on anywhere in the head
SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF COUGH HEADACHES
- Vata, pitta and kapha dosha move through all channels of circulation. Due to the subtle nature of vata it impels the remaining two doshas.
- Due to the causative factors, doshas are excessively aggravated.
- The aggravated doshas reside in the head and produce pain.
LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF COUGH HEADACHES
- Pain on the head – shirasthoda
- Pain on half part of the head – ardhavabhedaka
- Radiating pain towards face and neck – vatika shirasula
- Burning sensation – shiro daha ( paithika shirasula)
- Shirogouravam – heaviness ( kaphaja shirasula)
AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF COUGH HEADACHES
- Symptoms are manageable with ayurvedic medications
- As per ayurveda a type of headache called shankhaka is incurable
CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR COUGH HEADACHES
Ayurvedic local treatment for cough headaches
- Svedam – local fermentation
- Pain-relieving lepa application
- Murdhataila – oil massage on the head
- Shiropichu – chandanadi tailam
AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR COUGH HEADACHES
- Pathyashadangam kashayam
- Brahmi vati
- Shirasuladi vajra rasa
- Lakshmivilasa rasa
- For head massaging – lakshadi tailam, manjishtadi tailam, rasnadi tailam, thenginpushpadi thaila, thungadrumadi tailam
AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR COUGH HEADACHES
- NASYA- anu taila, shadbindhu taila
COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR COUGH HEADACHES
HOME REMEDIES FOR COUGH HEADACHES
- Massage the painful area for 15 minutes ( NOT too much pressure )
- Drinking an adequate quantity of water
DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR COUGH HEADACHES
- Avoid food items that produce vata , pitta dosha imbalance like cold and dry food, acrid, hard to digest. Because dosha imbalance aggravates the symptoms.
- Consume easily digestible food items, cow’s milk
- Practice regular exercise
- Oil massage on affected area advised. Which alleviates vata dosha
- Take proper rest.
YOGA FOR COUGH HEADACHES
- Nadi Shuddi Pranayam
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, with the body relaxed. The patient has to close his one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, United States. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please consult your GP before the intake.
Please consult Dr. Rajesh Nair here-
Dr. Rajesh Nair, the co-founder and chief consultant of Ayurvedaforall.Com, is a graduate of prestigious Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College (affiliated with the University of Calicut), Kerala, India. Additionally, he holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy from Annamalai University.
Dr. Nair offers consultation at two busy clinics in and around Haripad, Alleppey, Kerala, the southern state famous worldwide for authentic ayurvedic treatment and physicians. While offering consultation on all aspects of ayurvedic treatments Dr. Nair has a special interest in Panchkarma, Yoga, and Massage.
Through Ayurvedaforall, Dr. Nair offers online consultation to patients worldwide and has served hundreds of patients over the last 20 years. In addition to his Ayurvedic practice, he is the chief editor of ayurveda-amai.org, the online portal of Ayurveda Medical Association of India, and the state committee member of Ayurveda Medical Association of India.
Dr. Nair is a regular speaker at Ayurveda-related conferences and has visited Germany to propagate Ayurveda. You can write directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
Whatsapp – +91 9446918019, +91 8075810816
To give you a quick idea about Ayurvedaforall, we are a group of ayurvedic practitioners committed to propagating Ayurveda in its best tradition around the world. Our online store sells authentic ayurvedic formulations backed by professional advice. Now into the seventeenth year of operation, the site has helped us build a dedicated clientele which regularly uses our products and services as well as refers others to us. Needless to say, this has been achieved through our adherence to the highest standards of customer service and professional ethics.