Compulsive overeating is an eating disorder in which the person frequently consumes large amounts of food in one sitting. It is also known as ‘binge-eating disorder’.
- SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- CAUSES OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- DIAGNOSIS OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- TREATMENTS FOR COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- PROGNOSIS OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- COMPLICATIONS OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- COMPULSIVE OVEREATING AND AYURVEDA
- NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- HOME REMEDIES FOR COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- YOGA FOR COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- Eating food even when not hungry
- Unusual overeating
- Frequently eating in a day
- The eating behaviour is out of control
- Fluctuations in body weight
CAUSES OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- Genetic factors
- Psychological factors – mood disorders, anxiety disorders
- Factors related to metabolism
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
Due to the above-mentioned causes, the person consumes unusually large amounts of food. In case of psychological reasons, overeating is to relieve a negative emotional state. No specific pathology is involved in the case of habitual overeating.
DIAGNOSIS OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- Proper history taking
- Diagnosis through clinical features
- Physical examination
- Psychological examination
- Blood tests
TREATMENTS FOR COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- Medications for underlying pathology
- Treatments for associated medical conditions
PROGNOSIS OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- Compulsive overeating is manageable with medications and psychotherapy. Untreated compulsive overeating leads to complications.
COMPLICATIONS OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- Affect the quality of life
- Anxiety or depression
- High risk of diabetes and cardiovascular diseases
COMPULSIVE OVEREATING AND AYURVEDA
- In Ayurveda compulsive overeating is managed based on the treatments of ‘bhasmaka roga’.
NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- Excess consumption of ununctuous, sour, acrid food
- Hyper functioning of agni
- Excessive dosha vitiation in the digestive system
PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- The excessive urge for eating
SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
Hyper functioning of jataragni and dosha imbalance in the digestive system leads to symptoms of compulsive overeating. In the case of bhasmaka pitta dosha increases and vata-kapha dosha decreases.
LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- Atyagni – excess hungry
- Sthoulya or karshya – fluctuations in body weight
AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- Sadhya roga – symptoms are manageable with Ayurvedic medicines
CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- Treatment for atyagni
- Treatment for karsyam or sthoulyam
AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- Lekhana vasthi – to relieve the complication like obesity
COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- Drakshadi kashaya
- Guduchyadi kashaya
- Shankha bhasma
- Drakshadi gulika
- Narikela khanta
HOME REMEDIES FOR COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- Exercise regularly
- Take an appropriate quantity of fluids
DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- Avoid food items that produce dosha imbalance like sour, acrid and dry food, hard to digest. Because dosha imbalance aggravates the symptoms.
- Take proper rest.
- Avoid more oily foods, junk foods.
YOGA FOR COMPULSIVE OVEREATING
- Nadi Shuddi Pranayam – calms the mind and gets relief from the over the urge for eating
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, with the body relaxed. The patient has to close his one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, United States. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please consult your GP before the intake.
Please consult Dr. Rajesh Nair here-
Dr. Rajesh Nair, the co-founder and chief consultant of Ayurvedaforall.Com, is a graduate of prestigious Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College (affiliated with the University of Calicut), Kerala, India. Additionally, he holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy from Annamalai University.
Dr. Nair offers consultation at two busy clinics in and around Haripad, Alleppey, Kerala, the southern state famous worldwide for authentic ayurvedic treatment and physicians. While offering consultation on all aspects of ayurvedic treatments Dr. Nair has a special interest in Panchkarma, Yoga, and Massage.
Through Ayurvedaforall, Dr. Nair offers online consultation to patients worldwide and has served hundreds of patients over the last 20 years. In addition to his Ayurvedic practice, he is the chief editor of ayurveda-amai.org, the online portal of Ayurveda Medical Association of India, and the state committee member of Ayurveda Medical Association of India.
Dr. Nair is a regular speaker at Ayurveda-related conferences and has visited Germany to propagate Ayurveda. You can write directly to email@example.com
Whatsapp – +91 9446918019, +91 8075810816
To give you a quick idea about Ayurvedaforall, we are a group of ayurvedic practitioners committed to propagating Ayurveda in its best tradition around the world. Our online store sells authentic ayurvedic formulations backed by professional advice. Now into the seventeenth year of operation, the site has helped us build a dedicated clientele which regularly uses our products and services as well as refers others to us. Needless to say, this has been achieved through our adherence to the highest standards of customer service and professional ethics.