Chronic fatigue or chronic fatigue syndrome is the feeling of extreme tiredness, with lack of energy and a feeling of sleepiness for long periods that interferes with daily activities. It is a common symptom in many diseases. It also occurs without underlying pathology.
- SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- CAUSES OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- DIAGNOSIS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- TREATMENTS FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE
- PROGNOSIS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- COMPLICATIONS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- CHRONIC FATIGUE AND AYURVEDA
- NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE
- AYURVEDIC LOCAL TREATMENT FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE
- AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE
- AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE
- COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE
- HOME REMEDIES FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE
- DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE
- YOGA FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- Extreme tiredness
- Loss of energy
- Joint pain
- Feeling of breathlessness
- Body ache
- mental confusions
- loss of appetite
- inability to concentrate
CAUSES OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- immune system-related problems
- Degenerative diseases
- Viral fever
- Thyroid dysfunctions
- Hormonal imbalances
- Side effects of certain medications
- Autoimmune diseases
- Mental and physical stress
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- Chronic fatigue is triggered by many factors. In the case of infections, the immune system sends white blood cells to fight off the infection, leads to fatigue.
- Psychosocial factors like stress also contribute to fatigue.
- Deficiency of nutrients along with other disease conditions like anaemia becomes a part of the pathogenesis of fatigue.
DIAGNOSIS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- Proper history taking
- Physical examinations
- Laboratory tests
- Musculoskeletal examinations
- Neurological examinations
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- X – rays
TREATMENTS FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE
- Medications – Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, Analgesics (for inflammatory reasons of fatigue)
- Treatment of underlying pathology
PROGNOSIS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- Prognosis is based on the cause of the disease, duration and condition of the patient
COMPLICATIONS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- Derangement in the daily activities
CHRONIC FATIGUE AND AYURVEDA
- In Ayurveda,chronic fatigue falls under ‘dhatukshaya’, ‘ojokshaya’.
- The causes and pathogenesis of diseases caused by vitiation of dosha, in general, are the exclusive cause and pathogenesis offatigue.
NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- Excess consumption of ununctuous, unwholesome food
- Excessive physical exercise.
- Suppression of natural urges.
- Agantu factors(infections)
PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- The feeling of tiredness (ksheena)
SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- Vata, pitta and kapha dosha move through all channels of circulation. Due to the subtle nature of vata it impels the remaining two doshas.
- The aggravated vata having provoked these two doshas, exacerbated and fills up the empty channels and moves greatly inside them or by getting enveloped by the other doshas.
- The aggravated doshas reside in the body and combine with dhatus leads to fatigue.
LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- Toda – aching body pain
- Sada – weakness
- Atinidra – sleepiness
- Moha – confusions
- Tantra – dizziness
- Aruchi – loss of appetite
AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF CHRONIC FATIGUE
- Chronic fatigue associated with traumatic injuries, chronic diseases is difficult to cure – krichra sadhya
CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE
Ayurvedic local treatment for chronic fatigue
- Abhyanga – oil massaging
AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE
- Treatment of dosha vitiation
- Treatment for dhatu kshaya
- Treatment for agni
- Rasayana seva
- Dhanwantharam ghritam
- Aswagandha tablet
- Brahmi ghritam
AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE
- Sneha vasthi, yapana vasthi – Medicated enema
COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE
- Snehadhara – with balaswagandha tailam and ksheerabala tailam
- Shashtika Sali panda sweda
HOME REMEDIES FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE
- Proper rest
- Drinking plenty of fluids
- Bathing in warm water
- Body massaging
DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE
- Avoid food items which produce dosha imbalance like cold and dry food, hard to digest. Because dosha imbalance aggravates the symptoms.
- Consume easily digestible food items, cow’s milk
- Avoid heavy exercises which further aggravate the conditions.
- Oil massage on the whole body advised.
- Consume a balanced diet
YOGA FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE
- Nadi Shuddi Pranayam – calms the mind and gets relief from fatigue
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, with the body relaxed. The patient has to close his one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
- Savasana – relaxes body and mind