Brihat nirgundyadi tailam is an Ayurvedic medicine used in the treatment of diseases affecting ear, nose, throat etc. This medicine is in the form of herbal oil.
BENEFITS OF BRIHAT NIRGUNDYADI TAILAM
- This medicine used in the management of diseases of ear, nose, throat.
- The medicine is used for external application on the affected area.
- This type of administration of medicine in Ayurveda known as abhyangam.
INDICATIONS OF BRIHAT NIRGUNDYADI TAILAM
- Diseases of ear, nose, throat
INGREDIENTS OF BRIHAT NIRGUNDYADI TAILAM
|SL NO||SANSKRIT NAME||LATIN||ACTION|
|1||NIRGUNDI||vitex negundo||Analgesic, action in respiratory system|
|2||VACHA||Acorus calamus||Balances kapha and vata|
|3||LAKSHA||Laccifer lacca||Effective in bleeding|
|5||KATUKI||Picrorhiza kurroa||balances pitta|
|6||USHIRA||Vetiveria zizanioides||Antipyretic action|
METHOD OF PREPARATION
Oil prepared with the juice of nirgundi, vacha , whey and paste of haritaki, laksha, ushira, katuki. Coconut oil and castor oils are used for its preparation.
DOSHA- DUSHYA PREDOMINANCE AND ROGA MARGA
- Dosha – This medicine is recommended for the treatment of vata, kapha dosha imbalance.
- Dushya- useful in diseases affecting rasa, raktha, mamsa,asthi,majja dhatu – diseases of ear, nose, throat.
- Roga marga – This medicine can be administered in diseases affecting all roga marga
madhyama roga marga – diseases affecting the head.
DOSAGE AND USAGE
- External application on the head or affected area or as directed by an Ayurvedic doctor.
- In the case of earache, this oil is instilled into the ear as karnapoorana.
EXERCISES AND YOGA
Yoga and Pranayama are a set of breathing and stretching exercises respectively, widely practised in the treatment of many diseases.
Nadi Shuddi Pranayam – Effective in respiratory diseases, cleans the respiratory passage
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, with the body relaxed. The patient has to close his one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
RECOMMENDED DIET AND BEHAVIOUR
- Avoid food items which produce dosha imbalance like cold, more salty, sour and dry food, hard to digest. Because dosha imbalance aggravates the symptoms.
- Oil massage on the head is advised. This alleviates vata dosha.
- Avoid exposure to the cold environment.
SIDE EFFECTS AND CONTRAINDICATIONS
- This medicine is used for external application only.
- Improper usage may lead to side effects.
- Patient with recurrent rhinitis uses this oil only after consulting an Ayurveda physician.
- Can this oil be used while taking Allopathic treatments for the headache?
Seek your doctor’s advice if you are using this oil along with Allopathic treatments.
- How long this herbal oil can be used?
Duration of oil application on the head is based on your stage of the disease. Before using medicine consult a physician.
- Can this medicine use for sinusitis?
Yes, this herbal oil is effective in recurrent sinusitis.
- Ksharatailam for earache
- Dipika tailam