Balaswagandhadi tailam is an Ayurvedic medicine used in the treatment of diseases affecting muscles, bones and joints. This medicine is in the form of herbal oil.
BENEFITS OF BALASWAGANDHADI TAILAM
- This medicine is used in the management of muskulo skeletal disorders.
- The administration of balaswagandhadi tailam is through oil massage on the body, especially on joints.
- This type of administration of medicine in Ayurveda known as abhyangam.
INDICATIONS OF BALASWAGANDHADI TAILAM
- Joint pain
- Muscle ache
- Joint stiffness
INGREDIENTS OF BALASWAGANDHADI TAILAM
|SL NO||SANSKRIT NAME||LATIN||ACTION|
|1||BALA||Sidacordifolia||Balances vata dosha|
|2||ASWAGANDHA||Withania somnifera||The beneficiary effect in the nervous system|
|3||LAKSHA||Laccifer lacca||Helps in the healing of the bone fracture|
|4||USHIRA||Vetiveria zizanioides||Antipyretic action|
|5||RAKTA CHANDANA||Pterocarpus santalinus||Balances kapha and pitta, relieves fever|
|6||DEVADARU||Cedus deodara||Reduces pain|
|7||YASHTIMADHU||Glycyrrhiza glabra||Rejuvenator Beneficial effect on eyes|
|8||AGURU||Aquillaria agallocha||Balances vata and kapha|
|9||HARIDRA||curcuma longa||Antibacterial action|
|10||KUSHTA||Saussurea lappa||Balances vata and kapha|
|11||RASNA||pluchea lanceolata||Balances vata|
|12||MUSTA||Nutgrass/ Cyperus rotundus||Antipyretic action|
|14||MANJISHTA||Rubia cordifolia||Effective in skin diseases|
|15||SARIVA||Hemidesmus indica||Reduces pitta dosha|
|16||CHORAKA||Angelica glauca||Balances kapha vata|
|17||PADMAKESARA||Nelumbo nucifera||Balances pitta|
|19||KUMUDA||Nymphaea stellata||Balances pitta|
METHOD OF PREPARATION
Oil prepared with the decoction of bala, aswagandha, laksha and paste of rest of the above-mentioned drugs, mastu (supernatant liquid of curd) and Sesame oil.
DOSHA- DUSHYA PREDOMINANCE AND ROGA MARGA
- Dosha – This medicine is recommended for the treatment of vata, pitta dosha imbalance.
- Dushya- useful in diseases affecting rasa, raktha, mamsa,asthi,majja dhatu – joint pain, joint stiffness, muscle pain
- Roga marga – This medicine can be administered in diseases affecting madhyama roga marga – joint pain, joint stiffness
DOSAGE AND USAGE
External application on the body especially on joints or as directed by an Ayurvedic doctor.
EXERCISES AND YOGA
Yoga and Pranayama are a set of breathing and stretching exercises respectively, widely practised in the treatment of many diseases.
Nadi shuddi pranayam – for getting calmness to the mind provide overall health
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, with the body relaxed. The patient has to close his one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
RECOMMENDED DIET AND BEHAVIOUR
- Avoid food items which produce dosha imbalance like cold, more salty, sour and dry food, hard to digest. Because dosha imbalance aggravates the symptoms.
- Consume easily digestible food items.
- Oil massage on the head is advised. This alleviates vata dosha.
- Avoid exposure to the cold environment.
- Avoid heavy exercises which further aggravate degenerated conditions.
SIDE EFFECTS AND CONTRAINDICATIONS
- This medicine should only administer as per the direction by the physician.
- Improper administration leads to side effects
- Can this medicine be used while taking Allopathic treatments?
Seek your doctor’s advice if you are using this medicine along with Allopathic treatments.
- How long the medicine can be used?
Duration of medicinal application on the affected area is based on your stage of the disease. Before using medicine consult a physician.
- Is this medicine habit forming?
This medicine is not habit-forming. After using for a prescribed period gradually decrease the duration and eventually stop it.
- Rasnadi tailam
- Mahamasha tailam
- Satahwadi tailam
- Dhanwantharam Tailam
- Kottakkal Arya vaidya sala
1. A pilot study investigating the effects of Ayurvedic Abhyanga massage on subjective stress experience
2. Physio-Anatomical Explanation of Abhyanga: An Ayurvedic Massage Technique for Healthy Life
3. A Prospective, Randomized Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Safety and Efficacy of a High-Concentration Full-Spectrum Extract of Ashwagandha Root in Reducing Stress and Anxiety in Adults