A dangerous or unpleasant reaction by the immune system when some are taken is known as food allergy and its reason is unknown. The allergic response to some food items experienced in childhood may resolve when reaches adulthood. In some cases, food allergies can become life-threatening.
- Signs and symptoms of Allergy food
- Causes of Allergy food
- Pathophysiology of Allergy food
- Diagnosis of Allergy food
- Treatments of Allergy food
- Prognosis of Allergy food
- Complications of Allergy food
- Virudhahara and food allergy (incompatible food)
- Nidana- Causes of Virudha ahara
- Lakshana of virudha ahara
- Prognosis of virudha ahara
- Chikitsa (Treatment) of virudha ahara
- Commonly used medicines for virudha ahara
- Research articles link.
Signs and Symptoms
The symptoms vary from mild to very severe life-threatening anaphylactic reactions.
- Tingling sensation in the mouth and burning sensation in the lips and mouth
- Swelling of tongue and lips
- Rashes in skin, itching and redness
- Wheezing, shortness of breath
- Nausea and vomiting
- streaming eyes, redness of eyes
Symptoms get worsen rapidly. There will be a rapid fall in the blood pressure, tachycardia, respiratory symptoms, etc., and may lead to loss of consciousness.
The food items which causes allergic reactions include,
- milk (lactose intolerance)
- nuts from trees (including hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, and Brazil nuts)
- peanuts (groundnuts)
- shellfish (including shrimps, mussels, and crab)
- wheat (gluten allergy)
Turmeric, sesame oil, celery, mustard, etc. may cause allergic reactions in some cases.
The reason for this is that here the body identifies the protein as harmful to the body. In such cases, the immune system produces chemicals that cause the symptoms. In most cases, the symptoms produce by eating food items that are allergic to the person. Indirectly, the intake of products containing such food also causes allergy. Inhalation of aerosols, dust from a source such as flour or oil, cooking spray. Age, history of food allergy, family history are all risk factors.
History of food habits, analysis of signs and symptoms is the initial step in the diagnosis. Other confirmatory tests like skin tests, blood tests for IgE antibodies.
- The standard approach is to avoid exposure to food causing the allergy.
- Desensitization is the method in which to increase doses of food containing allergens to those children with a particular allergy.
- Oral immunotherapy
- In severe cases the injection of epinephrine to prevent anaphylaxis. People with allergies carry an epinephrine autoinjector (EpiPen, Auvi-Q, others).
Many of the food allergies, particularly allergies to milk, egg, soy, and wheat, are usually subsides by reaching adulthood, usually within ten years of life. Allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, fish, and shellfish are often lifelong. 20% of individuals may outgrow peanut allergy
In some cases, food allergy causes life-threatening anaphylactic reactions.
Disease and Ayurveda
We can manage the condition based on the concept of Virudhahara (Incompatible food). Ajeerna and Agnimandya can also be considered. Saatmya is a concept in Ayurveda describing the things conducive to the body. Substances which are not conducive to the body causes allergic reactions.
The causes of food allergy may include,
- Weak Agni ( less digestive fire)
- Ama accumulation ( Ama means toxins)
- Individual’s body constitution
- Imbalance of Dosha in the body (Vata, Pitta or Kapha)
- State of the Dhatu (tissue) Agni (digestive fire): this determines which tissue or organ system will be affected.
- Weak immune system
Intake of food that is not compatible with the body, mismatching a combination of food items, taking food at an improper time, place, inappropriate amounts, etc. causes food allergy.
Lakshana Signs and Symptoms
Diseases due to virus includes,
- Indigestion, Abdominal distension, intestinal disorders, Ascites, gastritis
- Intoxication, fainting
- Skin diseases, erysipelas, bullous, etc.
In Ayurveda, eighteen types of Virudha are said. Among this Saatmya (anything conducive to body) virudha and Agni virudha can be considered more in this context.
Intake of incompatible food causes many diseases from indigestion to severe intoxication like life-threatening conditions. Its prognosis so is determined by the problem it causes in the body.
Samana: can be given Samanaushadha (medicines) based on the disease. Drugs like Haridra, nimba possessing detoxifying effect can be used. Treatment to protect Agni (digestive fire) is necessary because a person with supreme Agnibala (digestive fire) won’t get the effect of Virudha ahara.
Shodhana: Diseases caused by intake of incompatible diets and drugs can be cured by Vamana Karma (therapeutic Emesis), Virechana (Purgation)
Commonly used medicines
Commonly used medicines include,
- Vaidyaratnam Oushadasala
- Aryavaidyasala Kottakkal
- SNA Oushadasala
- Dabur India
Home Remedies and Diet
Always take food that is conducive to the body in proper quantity at the proper time. Doing purgation ones in two or three months gap is also good.
Those postures which help in maintaining digestive health are good.
- Pavamukthasana, etc. increases the blood flow to the gut.
Research articles link.