Ayurvedic Treatment for ALLERGY EGG is to correct the impaired digestion and prevent allergic manifestations in the body. Egg allergy can be managed using Ayurvedic medicines based on the principle of Ama pachana. One among the most important food which causes allergy in children is egg. The allergic reactions occur a few minutes to a few hours after intake of egg.
- Signs and symptoms of Allergy egg
- Causes of Allergy egg
- Diagnosis of Allergy egg
- Treatments of Allergy egg
- Prognosis of Allergy egg
- Complications of Allergy egg
- Allergy egg in Ayurveda
- Nidana- Causes
- Chikitsa (Treatment)
- Commonly used medicines
- Diet desirable to prevent Allergy egg
- Research articles link.
Signs and Symptoms
The allergic reaction due to egg varies from person to person. It may include,
- Nasal congestion, running nose, sneezing
- Abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting
- Hives or skin inflammation
- Coughing, sneezing, wheezing
- Chest tightness, shortness of breath
- A severe allergic reaction can lead to anaphylaxis which includes constriction of air ways, swollen throat, difficulty in breathing, rapid pulse, shock with severe drop in blood pressure.
Causes and Pathophysiology
In the case of egg allergy the immune system mistakenly identifies egg protein as harmful to body. Immune system recognises these proteins and produce antibodies. During further exposure these antibodies recognises the proteins and triggers immune system for the release of histamines and other chemicals which leads to the allergic reactions.
The proteins in both egg yolk and egg white causes allergy but egg white proteins are more common reason for allergy.
The diagnosis can be made by,
- Detailed medical and personal history
- Skin prick test
- Blood test like absolute IgE count
- Food challenge in which the child is given small amount of egg to see whether it causes any reaction
- Food tracking and elimination in which detailed history of food consumed is taken and said to avoid egg or related food from diet and see whether the symptoms develop.
The primary treatment is to avoid egg and egg derived foods from the diet. The other treatment includes,
- Antihistamine medications to ease the symptoms.
- In case of anaphylaxis emergency management like epinephrine injection.
The allergic symptoms due to egg can be managed well using proper medication. Children usually outgrow the allergy symptoms as they grow older.
The person with egg allergy can develop other health conditions like,
- Allergy to milk, peanuts, etc.
- Allergies to dust mites, pollen
- Allergic skin reactions like atopic dermatitis
Disease and Ayurveda
No single disease is described in Ayurveda which can specifically correlate with allergy egg. Allergy egg can be based on the concept of Virudhahara (Incompatible food), Ajeerna and Agnimandya. Saatmya is a concept in Ayurveda describing the things conducive to the body. Substances which are not conducive to the body cause allergic reactions.
The causes that lead to allergic reaction to egg may include,
- Weak Agni ( less digestive fire)
- Ama accumulation ( Ama means toxins)
- Individual’s body constitution
- Imbalance of Dosha in the body (Vata, Pitta or Kapha)
- State of the Dhatu (tissue) Agni (digestive fire): this determines which tissue or organ system will be affected.
- Weak immune system
Lakshana Signs and Symptoms
- Indigestion, Abdominal distension, intestinal disorders, Ascites, gastritis
- Intoxication, fainting
- Skin diseases, erysipelas, bullous, etc.
Divisions based on Dosha
In Ayurveda, eighteen types of Virudha are said. Among this Saatmya (anything conducive to body) virudha and Agni virudha can be considered more in this context.
Samana: can be given Samanaushadha (medicines) based on the disease. Drugs like Haridra, nimba possessing detoxifying effect can be used. Treatment to protect Agni (digestive fire) is necessary because a person with supreme Agnibala (digestive fire) won’t get the effect of Virudha ahara.
Shodhana: Diseases caused by intake of incompatible diets and drugs can be cured by Vamana Karma (therapeutic Emesis), Virechana (Purgation)
Commonly used medicines
Commonly used medicines include,
- Vilwadi gulika
- Vaiswanara choorna
- Sankha vati
- Agnikumara rasa
- Doosheevishari gulika
- Chiruvilwadi kashayam
- Dadimashtaka choorna
- Mustakaranjadi kashaya
- Vaidyaratnam Oushadasala
- Aryavaidyasala Kottakkal
- SNA Oushadasala
- Baidyanath etc.
Home Remedies and Diet
- Honey help prevent allergic reactions
- Ginger is effective in treating allergies including milk allergy
- Carrot juice mixed with cucumber, pomegranate, beet root juice
- Calcium and magnesium supplements
- Vitamin E and Selenium
- Vitamin C
Practice of yoga help to maintain a healthy immune system and digestive system. Can do yogasanas like,
Research articles link.