PCOS is a condition in which fluid-filled sacs develop in one or both ovaries.
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal disorder common among women of reproductive age. Here, hormonal imbalance affects follicular growth during the ovarian cycle. The affected follicles remain in the ovary. The retained follicle form a cyst and each ovarian cycle result in the development of cyst thus leading to multiple cysts in the ovary.
Signs & Symptoms:
The signs and symptoms of PCOS can be visible with the first menstrual cycle during puberty or the symptoms can develop later for example as a result of obesity or sudden increase of weight gain.
- Irregular menstrual cycle: Infrequent, irregular or prolonged menstrual cycles are the most common sign of PCOD. For example, menstruation can take more than 40 days gap and can last for more than 7 days and can occur with heavy bleeding with clots, etc.
- Excess facial and body hair (hirsutism) due to higher levels of the male hormone.
- Severe acne
- Male pattern baldness or thinning of hair
- Ovaries might be enlarged and contain follicles that surround the eggs ( Polycystic Ovaries).
- Obesity especially around the waist region
- BMI above 25.
- More than 12 cysts in the ovary in an ultrasound scan
- Trouble sleeping
- Dark pigmented skin patches on the neck, inner thigh, and arms.
- Blood pressure above 120/80
- High blood sugar level
How do you know you have PCOS?
If you have abnormal bleeding(menstruation occurs irregularly like once in 2 or 3 months, heavy bleeding or bleeding lasts more than 7 days) with severe acne and abnormal growth of facial hair, you need to suspect that you have PCOD. And infertility can be another major concern where you need to have a medical opinion.
Causes of PCOS:
Diagnosis of PCOS
Diagnosis is usually confirmed with an ultrasound scan. If more than 2 cysts are found in one or both ovaries, the condition is confirmed to be PCOD.
A complication of PCOS:
85% of the female infertility is due to PCOD.
Pregnancy can be challenging for women with PCOD, as the treatment fo PCOD becomes the major concern.
The ayurvedic perspective of PCOS
Ayurveda does not name a particular disease which can be considered as equivalent to PCOS. But there are some ailments where the symptoms match with those of PCOS. These symptoms are due to Pitta Vata vitiation which gradually affects the uterus and its normal functioning.
Charak Acharya describes a condition called Rakta yoni which is characterized by heavy blood flow through the vagina due to Rakta Pitta vitiation which in turn is the result of improper food of the woman. Acharya says that in this condition the bleeding does not stop even while the woman is pregnant.
Charak Acharya explains another condition called Arajaska, which arises due to Pitta kopa and characterized by the absence of menstruation.
Treatment of PCOS in Ayurveda;
Seka ( effusion with dedicated oil or lukewarm water boiled with herbs), Abhyanga ( application of medicated oil on the body) and Pichu( inserting a tampon soaked in medicated oil or ghee into the vagina) are proven to be effective in the management of PCOS.
The following medicines are proven to be effective in the management of PCOS:
- Bruhatshatavaree ghritham
- Jeevaneeyadi ghrutham
- Pushyanuga choornam
- Triphala choornam with honey
- Kashmaryadi ghrtha can be used for vaginal douche.
- Varanadi kashayam
- Pachanamrutham Kashayam
- Tila Kwatham
- Punarnavadi Kashayam
- Sukumaram Kashayam
- Saptasaram Kashayam
- Drakshadi Kashayam
- Guloochyadi Kashayam
- Rajapravarthani vadi
- Kanchnara gulggulu
- Kaisore Guggulu
- Vaiswanara Churna
- Dadimashtak Churna
- Ashta Churna
- Hyponidd tablets
- M2 tone tablets
- M2 tone Syrup
- Diabecon DS
- Vyoshadi Guggulu
- SCOP KES
- Normen Tablet
- Dhanwantharam 101 capsules
Diet & Lifestyle:
- Reduce carbohydrate intake
- Include more vegetables and fruits in daily food intake
- Unrefined oil or fats like coconut oil
- Moderate exercise
- Enough sleep
- Consumption of sesame oil helps in the production of healthy ovarian follicles and ova.
- Drink buttermilk mixed with curry leaves, Haridra and onion.
- Take half spoon of Fenugreek powder twice daily with honey.
Many clinical studies and researches have been done, which have proved that PCOS can be completely cured by Ayurveda treatment without any side effects. All other modalities of treatment for PCOS would have side effects.
1. “Clinical Efficacy Of Ayurveda Treatment On Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome”
1, Dr.Bhagyashri Mahavir Khot. 2,Dr.Meenal Dipak Lad. 3, Dr.Arun Jagannath Patil. 4, Dr.Anil Chindhu Kakad (Asso.Professor-Streerog-Prasutitantra Dept.R.A.Podar Medical CollegeWorli Mumbai.). (Prof.&Head Dravyaguna Dept. College Of Ayurved AndResearch Center Nigadi.)1. (Asso. Professor-Streerog-Prasutitantra Dept.R.A.Podar Medical College Worli Mumbai)2 (P.G.Scholar Streerog-Prasutitantra Dept.R.A.Podar Medical College Worli Mumbai.)
ABSTRACT: Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) also known by the name of the Stein-Leventhal syndrome. The incidence of this condition is growing amongst young women in reproductive age. It is almost ranging between 5.10% of young women coming for infertility, it is now increasingly perceived as a disorder of changing lifestyles and is a rainbow metabolic syndrome Research shows that history of gestational diabetes 40% are cases at PCOS. Death rates amongst PCOS due to diabetes mellitus and metabolic syndrome s 5:1.4 to the normal population, excessive exposure to estrogen unopposed by progesterone could cause a greater incidence of malignancies endometrium and breast. Infertility is by far the most common feature due to anovulation, therefore the present study was carried out for clinical evaluation of the efficacy of Ayurveda treatment on PCOS. The treatment was conducted for a duration of 3 months the response to the treatment was recorded by parameters, the result revealed that PCOS can be cured by successfully by using this ayurvedic regimen
- REVIEW ARTICLE ISSN 2455 – 3530 Volume 1/ Issue 3 / December 2015: 1 – 5 Analysis of PCOS in Ayurveda to Cure it without any Side-Affects TriptiLokesh Assistant Professor, Department of Panchakarma, Gaur Brahman Ayurvedic College and Hospital, Rohtak, Haryana, India Received 15Sep 2015; Revised 28Nov 2015; Accepted 11Dec 2015 ABSTRACT :
Hormonal imbalance and menstrual disorders are increased in the present era. The erratic lifestyle and refined diet, increased stress, strain and restlessness have resultantly expanded the spread of PCOS. It is the most frequent endocrine disorder affecting 4-12%of all the women in childbearing age. It is heterogeneous disorder presenting with anovulation, irregular menstruation, ovulation-related infertility, polycystic ovaries, excessive amounts or effects of androgenic hormones, insulin resistance often associated with obesity, type II diabetes and high cholesterol level. Its treatments are focused only on covering up the symptoms not alleviating the underlying issues. In Ayurveda perspective, PCOS features ofArtavakshayaisdue to RasavahaStrotoDushti making malformed Rakta and further Dhatu. As Artava is Updhatu of RaktaDhatu and Pita is Samandharmi(same properties) of RaktaDhatu. PitalDravya is prescribed as the main line of treatment after complete Shodhana. Many studies with Ayurveda drugs have shown excellent results in curing PCOS without any side-effects.