The liver is one of the most important organs in our body. It is responsible for many vital functions. It is also the largest gland in the human body where bile is produced and secreted. The proper functioning of the liver will ensure a healthy body. It is the only organ in the body which can regenerate itself. Cells in the liver, called hepatocytes, have the unique property of being able to reproduce in response to liver injury. Some of the important functions of the liver are:
- Fights infections in the body
- Maintains normal blood glucose levels
- Metabolism of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates
- Purifying and detoxifying blood
- Production of bile
- Production of proteins that help in blood clotting
- Processing of nutrients from the blood depending on the body’s needs
Diseases of the liver
It is vitally important to take care of our liver for the overall health. If the liver cannot function properly, it can cause significant damage to the body. Although the liver is an extremely resilient organ, its many functions make it an ideal candidate for contracting many illnesses. Symptoms of liver disease may include bleeding or easy bruising, swelling, fatigue and jaundice. Some of the diseases affecting the liver are:
- Viral Hepatitis – Inflammation of the liver, caused by viruses like hepatitis A, B, and C.
- Cirrhosis – Long term liver damage can cause ‘scarring’ of the liver. The normal liver cells will be replaced by scar tissue which cannot perform any liver function.
- Alcohol-Related Liver Disease – Regular consumption of alcohol can cause your liver cells to become swollen with excess fat which can lead to a permanently damaged liver. It can also lead to malfunction of other organs such as the brain and kidneys.
- Liver cancer
Treatments for liver disorders
Liver diseases should be treated promptly. If left untreated for long, it can lead to secondary problems in other organs. Each liver disease has its own specific treatment. Treatments range from low sodium diet, diuretics and medications to surgeries depending on the disease.
In Ayurveda, the liver is considered a Pitta organ as it regulates digestion and elimination in our body. Diseases of the liver are treated with herbal medications and modifications in diet and lifestyle. Herbal medications are good alternative treatment for treating liver ailments. Many people opt for these medications as they are worried about the side effects caused by conventional medicines.
Liv.52 is an herbal supplement produced by Himalaya Herbal Healthcare for increasing the functional efficiency of the liver.
Know more about Liv.52
When taken in the dosage advised by a qualified Ayurvedic physician, Liv.52 help to restore the functional efficiency of your liver and prevent its further damage. The main function of the medicine is to hasten the recovery period to enable the liver to function efficiently. Liv.52 also provides a broad range of health benefits to the liver by:
- Aiding in the process of regeneration of cells
- Facilitating the rapid elimination of acetaldehyde, the toxic byproduct of alcohol metabolizing
- Ensuring protection from alcohol-induced damage
- Protecting from damage due to cirrhosis
One added benefit of Liv.52 is that it improves appetite and thereby promotes weight gain.
Ingredients found in Liv.52
Liv.52 is made from a combination of herbs whose properties are effective in maintaining the liver in healthy condition and ensuring that it functions properly. Some of the primary ingredients and their respective uses are listed in the table below:
|Himsra||improves liver function|
|Kasani||removes obstructions of liver and gall bladder|
|Kakamachi||helps rejuvenate the body|
|Arjuna||promotes normal cholesterol levels|
|Kasamarda||acts as a diuretic, relieves digestion problems|
|Biranjasipha||speeds recovery time reduces inflammation|
|Jhavuka||acts as a laxative|
Living life the good way
The liver is affected by the food and the medications you take. As the liver has myriad functions to do, anything in excess can throw these functions off-key resulting in health problems. Below are some tips that will enable you to improve your quality of living and live with a healthy liver.
- Eat foods that are grown organically. Organically grown food contains less synthetic pesticides which will reduce the burden on the liver as fewer toxins will enter the body.
- Processed foods and foods rich in saturated and transfats should be avoided as much as possible.
- Consume red, yellow & orange fruits and vegetables as they contain beta carotene, selenium, vitamin E, etc. They act as a protective barrier against the build-up of toxins in the liver.
- Avoid alcohol. Alcohol can kill the cells and damage the liver.
- Detoxify your body regularly. Doing so will help your liver to function better in eliminating toxins from the body.
- Take a good supplement that supports liver health.
With proper care as listed above and consumption of Ayurvedic liver supplements like Liv.52, you can ease the burden on your liver and ensure long-lasting good health.