Fibromyalgia or fibrositis is the widespread pain and tenderness in the musculoskeletal system.
- SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF FIBROMYALGIA
- CAUSES OF FIBROMYALGIA
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF FIBROMYALGIA
- DIAGNOSIS OF FIBROMYALGIA
- TREATMENTS FOR FIBROMYALGIA
- PROGNOSIS OF FIBROMYALGIA
- COMPLICATIONS OF FIBROMYALGIA
- FIBROMYALGIA AND AYURVEDA
- NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF FIBROMYALGIA
- PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF FIBROMYALGIA
- SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF FIBROMYALGIA
- LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF FIBROMYALGIA
- AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF FIBROMYALGIA
- CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR FIBROMYALGIA
- AYURVEDIC LOCAL TREATMENT FOR FIBROMYALGIA
- AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR FIBROMYALGIA
- AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR FIBROMYALGIA
- COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR FIBROMYALGIA
- HOME REMEDIES FOR FIBROMYALGIA
- DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR FIBROMYALGIA
- YOGA FOR FIBROMYALGIA
- RESEARCH PAPERS OF AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT OF FIBROMYALGIA
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF FIBROMYALGIA
- Aching pain
- Dull to sharp pain
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain
- Muscle spasm
- Abdominal cramps
- mood swings
- Tingling sensation
- Sleep disturbances
- joint stiffness
CAUSES OF FIBROMYALGIA
- Genetic predisposition
- Overstimulation of nervous system
- Strenuous physical activities
- Mental stress
- Degenerative diseases
- Side effects of certain medications
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF FIBROMYALGIA
- The pain of fibromyalgia is assumed to relate to a dysfunction of central nociceptive processing.
- In referred body pain, increased excitation of the spinal cord occurs. Muscular spasm is mostly secondary to a painful lesion in another muscle or joint.
- Psychosocial factors like stress is also contributing to pain.
DIAGNOSIS OF FIBROMYALGIA
- Laboratory tests
- Musculoskeletal examinations
- Neurological examinations
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- X – rays
- Thyroid function tests
- Anti-nuclear antibody
TREATMENTS FOR FIBROMYALGIA
- Medications –Analgesics, antidepressants
- Treatment of underlying pathology
PROGNOSIS OF FIBROMYALGIA
- Prognosis is based on the cause of the pain, duration and condition of the patient
COMPLICATIONS OF FIBROMYALGIA
FIBROMYALGIA AND AYURVEDA
- In Ayurveda,fibromyalgia falls under Vata vyadhi or a Vata dosha imbalance disorder (mamsagata vata).
- Vata vyadhi can be correlated to neurological or neuromuscular disorders. The causes and pathogenesis of diseases caused by vitiation of Vata dosha, in general, are the exclusive cause and pathogenesis ofpain, numbness, weakness.
NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF FIBROMYALGIA
- Excess consumption of ununctuous, cold food
- Excessive physical exercise.
- Suppression of natural urges.
PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF FIBROMYALGIA
- Dull intermittent pain in the body
SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF FIBROMYALGIA
- Vata, pitta and kapha dosha move through all channels of circulation. Due to the subtle nature of vata it impels the remaining two doshas.
- The aggravated vata having provoked these two doshas, exacerbated and fills up the empty channels and moves greatly inside them or by getting enveloped by the other doshas.
- The aggravated vata resides in the body and produces different kinds of aches and pains.
LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF FIBROMYALGIA
- Toda – aching pain
- Ruk – Pain on the body
- Bhedanam – cutting pain
- Sada – weakness
AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF FIBROMYALGIA
- Pain associated with traumatic injuries in the nervous system is difficult to cure – krichra sadhya
CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR FIBROMYALGIA
Ayurvedic local treatment for fibromyalgia
- Svedam – Fermentation
- Pain-relieving lepa application
- Abhyanga – oil massaging
AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR FIBROMYALGIA
- Rasaraj ras
- Laksha guggulu
- Trayodasanga guggulu
- Mahayogaraja guggulu
AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR FIBROMYALGIA
- VASTHI – Medicated enema
COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR FIBROMYALGIA
- Rasnasaptakam Kashayam
- Ashtavargam Kashayam
- Pachanamrutham Kashayam
- Nirgundyadi Kashayam
- Nayopayam Leham
- Vilwadi Leham
- Hinguvachadi Tablet
- Dadimashtak Churna
- Gorochandi Gutika
- Vayu gulika
- Rasaraj ras
- Laksha guggulu
- Trayodasanga guggulu
- Mahayogaraja guggulu
- Snehadhara – with balaswagandha tailam and ksheerabala tailam
- Shashtika Sali panda sweda
HOME REMEDIES FOR FIBROMYALGIA
- Proper rest
- Drinking plenty of fluids
- Bathing in warm water
- Body massaging
DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR FIBROMYALGIA
- Avoid food items which produce vata dosha imbalance like cold and dry food, hard to digest. Because vata imbalance aggravates the symptoms.
- Consume easily digestible food items, cow’s milk
- Avoid heavy exercises which further aggravate the conditions.
- Oil massage on the whole body advised. This alleviates vata dosha.
- Take proper rest.
YOGA FOR FIBROMYALGIA
- Nadi Shuddi Pranayam – calms the mind and gets relief from aches and pains
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, with the body relaxed. The patient has to close his one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
- Savasana – relaxes body and mind
RESEARCH PAPERS OF AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT OF FIBROMYALGIA
- Ayurvedic management of Fibromyalgia syndrome: A case report
- Pain management through ayurveda
- Various methods of pain management in ayurveda- a review article
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration, United States. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please consult your GP before the intake.
Dr. Rajesh Nair, the co-founder and chief consultant of Ayurvedaforall.Com, is a graduate of prestigious Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College (affiliated with the University of Calicut), Kerala, India. Additionally, he holds a Postgraduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy from Annamalai University.
Dr. Nair offers consultation at two busy clinics in and around Haripad, Alleppey, Kerala, the southern state famous worldwide for authentic ayurvedic treatment and physicians. While offering consultation on all aspects of ayurvedic treatments Dr. Nair has a special interest in Panchkarma, Yoga, and Massage.
Through Ayurvedaforall Dr. Nair offers online consultation to patients worldwide and has served hundreds of patients over the last 20 years. In addition to his Ayurvedic practice, he is the chief editor of ayurveda-amai.org, the online portal of Ayurveda Medical Association of India, and the state committee member of Ayurveda Medical Association of India.
Dr. Nair is a regular speaker at Ayurveda-related conferences and has visited Germany to propagate Ayurveda. You can write directly to him-
Whatsapp – +91 9446918019, +91 8075810816
To give you a quick idea about Ayurvedaforall, we are a group of ayurvedic practitioners committed to propagating Ayurveda in its best tradition around the world. Our online store sells authentic ayurvedic formulations backed by professional advice. Now into the seventeenth year of operation, the site has helped us build a dedicated clientele which regularly uses our products and services as well as refers others to us. Needless to say, this has been achieved through our adherence to the highest standards of customer service and professional ethics.