The pain in the elbow is mainly due to the inflammation of tendons around the elbow joint.
- SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF ELBOW PAIN
- CAUSES OF ELBOW PAIN
- PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF ELBOW PAIN
- DIAGNOSIS OF ELBOW PAIN
- TREATMENTS FOR ELBOW PAIN
- PROGNOSIS OF ELBOW PAIN
- COMPLICATIONS OF ELBOW PAIN
- ELBOW PAIN AND AYURVEDA
- NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF ELBOW PAIN
- PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF ELBOW PAIN
- SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF ELBOW PAIN
- LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF ELBOW PAIN
- AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF ELBOW PAIN
- CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR ELBOW PAIN
- AYURVEDIC LOCAL TREATMENT FOR ELBOW PAIN
- AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR ELBOW PAIN
- AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR ELBOW PAIN
- COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR ELBOW PAIN
- HOME REMEDIES FOR ELBOW PAIN
- DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR ELBOW PAIN
- YOGA FOR ELBOW PAIN
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF ELBOW PAIN
- Pain on movements like flexion and extension
- Tenderness on elbow joint
CAUSES OF ELBOW PAIN
- Sprains or strains
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF ELBOW PAIN
Due to the above-mentioned causes, the tendons around the elbow joint gets inflamed leads to the manifestation of symptoms like pain, tenderness etc.
DIAGNOSIS OF ELBOW PAIN
- Inspection – joint deformity
- Palpation – tenderness
- Movements – Flexion, Extension of elbow joint
- X – rays
TREATMENTS FOR ELBOW PAIN
- Medications – Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, Analgesic.
- Treatment of underlying pathology.
PROGNOSIS OF ELBOW PAIN
- Prognosis is based on the cause of the disease, duration and condition of the patient
COMPLICATIONS OF ELBOW PAIN
Fracture patterns involving the coronoid process, including posterolateral rotatory instability (PLRI) and varus posteromedial instability.
ELBOW PAIN AND AYURVED
- In Ayurveda,elbow pain falls under Vata vyadhi or a Vata dosha imbalance disorder.
- According to Ayurveda, the elbow joint is called kurpara sandhi.
- Vata vyadhi can be correlated to neurological or neuromuscular disorders. The causes and pathogenesis of diseases caused by vitiation of Vata dosha, in general, are the exclusive cause and pathogenesis ofpain, numbness, tingling sensation.
NIDANA- AYURVEDIC CAUSES OF ELBOW PAIN
- Excess consumption of ununctuous, cold food
- Excessive physical exercise.
- Suppression of natural urges.
PURVAROOPAM- AYURVEDIC PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS OF ELBOW PAIN
- Pain in the elbow joint on movement.
SAMPRAPTI – AYURVEDIC PATHOGENESIS OF ELBOW PAIN
- Vata, pitta and kapha dosha move through all channels of circulation. Due to the subtle nature of vata it impels the remaining two doshas.
- The aggravated vata having provoked these two doshas, exacerbated and fills up the empty channels and moves greatly inside them or by getting enveloped by the other doshas.
- The aggravated vata resides in the elbow joint and produces different kinds of aches and pains.
LAKSHANA- AYURVEDIC SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF ELBOW PAIN
- Toda – Pain on elbow joint
AYURVEDIC PROGNOSIS OF ELBOW PAIN
- Pain associated with traumatic injuries is difficult to cure – krichra sadhya
CHIKITSA- AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR ELBOW PAIN
Ayurvedic local treatment for ELBOW PAIN
- Svedam – local fermentation
- Pain-relieving lepa application
AYURVEDIC SAMANA TREATMENT FOR ELBOW PAIN
- Gandha tailam along with milk
- Laksha guggulu
- Trayodasanga guggulu
- Mahayogaraja guggulu
AYURVEDIC SHODHANA TREATMENT FOR ELBOW PAIN
- NASYA- Ksheerabala
COMMONLY USED AYURVEDIC MEDICINES FOR ELBOW PAIN
HOME REMEDIES FOR ELBOW PAIN
- Heat application on the affected area by a towel dipped with hot water
- Massage the painful area for 15 minutes ( NOT too much pressure )
DIET AND BEHAVIOUR FOR ELBOW PAIN
- Avoid food items which produce vata dosha imbalance like cold and dry food, hard to digest. Because vata imbalance aggravates the symptoms.
- Consume easily digestible food items, cow’s milk
- Avoid heavy exercises which further aggravate the conditions.
- Oil massage on affected area advised. Which alleviates vata dosha
- Take proper rest.
YOGA FOR ELBOW PAIN
- Nadi Shuddi Pranayam – Calms the mind and gets relief from aches and pains
The patient needs to be seated in a meditative posture with the head and spine erect, with the body relaxed. The patient has to close his one nostril (e.g. left nostril if using the right hand and vice versa) with the thumb and exhale completely through the other nostril. Again, he will have to breathe in deeply through the other nostril while the opposite nostril is still closed with the thumb.
- Anjali mudra