Ayurvedic Treatment for Asperger’s syndrome keeps eyes on maintaining the digestive power of the kid. By preserving a good metabolism, Ayurveda helps to repair neurologic damages. Asperger’s syndrome is a neurodevelopmental disorder. It affects the ability to effectively socialize and communicate. The disease usually gets diagnosed between the age of three to nine years. It is a condition on the autism spectrum, with generally higher functioning.
- Signs and symptoms of Asperger’s syndrome
- Causes of Asperger’s syndrome
- Diagnosis of Asperger’s syndrome
- Treatments of Asperger’s syndrome
- Prognosis of Asperger’s syndrome
- Complications of Asperger’s syndrome
- Asperger’s syndrome in Ayurveda
- Nidana- Causes of Asperger’s syndrome
- Samprapti or maturation of Asperger’s syndrome
- Chikitsa (Treatment) of Asperger’s syndrome
- Commonly used medicines to treat Asperger’s syndrome
- Home remedies and Diet
Signs and Symptoms
This condition usually starts in early life. The primary symptoms seen in this condition include,
- Presenting with a difficulty in social interaction
- Repetitive behavior
- Standing firm on what they think
- Focusing on rules and routines
The other symptoms are,
- Lack of eye contact
- Seems awkward in social situations and doesn’t know how to respond or what to say in a situation
- Child may not show some emotions like they won’t laugh when happy or laugh at a joke
- They may speak in a monotone and display few facial expressions.
- Unable to read facial expressions and body language. They find hard to recognize others feelings
- Children with AS may also have difficulty with essential motor skills, such as running or walking. Also, find lack of coordination in doing activities like climbing.
- Those diagnosed with AS have normal or above normal intelligence
The exact cause of Asperger’s syndrome is not yet identified. It may happen due to the changes happening in the brain. Exposure to environmental toxins, infection by certain viruses, and genetic predisposition are considered potential causes for the development of AS. Boys are more prone to this disease than girls.
There is no specific single test to diagnose AS. The parents or teachers initially notices some developmental or behavioral abnormalities and reported them to the doctor. The following are the key areas to be assessed in a case suspecting AS.
- Language development
- Social interaction or interest in interacting with others
- Facial expressions while talking
- Attitudes toward change
- Motor coordination and motor skills
There is no complete cure for AS early diagnosis and management help to control the symptoms. This helps the child to reach their complete potential. The treatment and medicines used depend on the symptoms. Medications used to treat AS are,
- to reduce irritability Aripiprazole (Abilify) is given
- reduce hyperactivity the medicines used are Guanfacine (Tenex), Olanzapine (Zyprexa), and Naltrexone (ReVia)
- selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) to reduce repetitive behaviors
- Risperidone (Risperdal Consta) is used to reduce agitation and insomnia
The treatments to improve communication skill and social interaction includes,
- social skills training
- speech and language therapy
- occupational therapy and physical therapy
- cognitive therapy
- behavioral therapy
Asperger’s syndrome is not completely curable. But early diagnosis and timely intervention help the child to reach their maximum potential. This child can however lead a normal life.
If the diagnosis and intervention delays in the case of Asperger’s syndrome there can develop some complications like,
- Social isolation or difficulty making and keeping friends.
- Trouble in finding and maintaining steady employment.
- Decreased self-confidence.
- Difficulties with social interactions.
- Depression and Anxiety.
Disease and Ayurveda
No specific disease can be precisely correlated to Asperger’s syndrome. In Ayurveda, unmada incorporates various forms of inappropriate actions exhibited by the individual as a result of the distortion of normal mind, intellect, conscious knowledge, memory, desire, manner, and behavior. The symptoms of AS can be thus included in the context of unmada. The treatment principle of unmada can be adopted in the management.
The main vitiated dosha is vata and the factors which vitiate vata can cause this condition.
- Virudha ahara and vihara (improper daily regimens)
- Excessive intake of foods which are ruksha (fat-free diet), alpa (low portion size or serving size of food/low-calorie diet), sheeta (cold food) in nature
- Depletion of body tissues, excessive fasting, etc.
- Manasika vikaras (emotions of mind) like fear, sorrow, etc. can vitiate vata dosha.
The diseases of psychological involvement always happen to those with less satwa bala (less mental strength).
The aggravated vata along with other vitiated doshas spreads and afflicts the heart(or brain) who has excessive psychological stress or fear. They spread upwards and occupy the channels of the upper parts of the body (head or heart) causing the disease
Lakshana Signs and Symptoms
The symptoms include,
- Lack of desire to communicate with others.
- Inappropriate emotional outbursts and adhering to specific rigid routines
- Impaired socialization skills, inability to follow commands, losing of good habits, etc.
Divisions based on doshas
Unmada is of five types based on dosha predominance,
Chikitsa- Ayurvedic Treatment for Asperger’s Syndrome
The treatment includes
- Samana chikitsa which includes drugs that pacifies doshas
- Shodhana chikitsa (bio cleansing procedures) to eliminate the vitiated doshas and restore the homeostasis
- Sattvavajaya chikitsa which includes mind and self-control techniques
- Daivavyapasraya chikitsa to restore the confidence
Commonly used Ayurvedic medicines for Asperger’s Syndrome
- Kalyanaka kashayam
- Brahmidrakshadi Kashayam
- Brahmi ghritam
- Kalyanaka gritam
- Mahat Panchagavya ghritam
- Manasa mitravatakam
- Drakshadi kashaya
- Abhyanga (oil massage) with Dhanwantharam thailam, Vatasini thailam, Ksheerabala thailam
- Swarna bhasma with ghee and honey
- Saraswatha choornam
- Aryavaidyasala Kottakkal
- Vaidyaratnam Oushadasala
Home Remedies and diet
- Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids help in the development of brain functions
- Proper sleep to maintain balance in serotonin release
- Training given to parents to guide such children
- Stay them active and allow the be with peer group
- Omega-3 rich food like salmon fish
- Walnuts, brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds
- Dark chocolate
- Eggs, yogurt
Yoga’s methodical approach to breathing and moving makes it an excellent option for anxious children to learn strong coping skills. Simple postures like Marjarasana, Sisu asana, etc. can be practiced by children. Breathing exercise can also be practiced.
- Anuloma viloma pranayama
Research articles link.