Ayurvedic Treatment for Allergy Dust starts with the tracing of the route behind the ailment.Allergy can be described as an immune system response to some foreign substances such as dust which are known as Allergens. This typically may not be harmful to the body unless causes allergic responses and it shows e great extent of individual variations.
- Signs and symptoms of Allergy dust
- Causes of Allergy dust
- Pathophysiology of Allergy dust
- Diagnosis of Allergy dust
- Treatments of Allergy dust
- Prognosis of Allergy dust
- Complications of Allergy dust
- Allergy dust in Ayurveda
- Nidana- Causes of Allergy dust
- Purvaroopam (Premonitory Symptoms) of Allergy dust
- Lakshana of Allergy dust
- Prognosis of Allergy dust
- Chikitsa (Treatment) of Allergy dust
- Commonly used medicines for Allergy dust
- Diet desirable to prevent Allergy dust
- Research articles link.
Signs and Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of allergy usually vary depending on the allergen. It varies from person to person also.
- Sneezing along with running nose
- Sometimes nose may be stuffy
- Itching of eyes followed by watering and redness
- Respiratory symptoms involve wheezing, breathlessness or shortness of breath
- Itching of the skin followed by the appearance of red rashes.
Dust from various sources can cause an allergic response to humans. Most common among them are,
- Dust mites and insects like cockroaches
- Pollen grains from some plants
- Pet hair, fur or feathers
The most common sort of dust allergy is due to dust mites and pollen.
In allergic reactions when the immune system first exposed to a type of dust which is either a dust mite or pollen, it produces a type of antibody called immunoglobulin E (IgE) and this IgE binds to basophils of the bloodstream and to a similar type of cell called mast cells in the tissues. Later on the allergic symptoms develop based on the severity of exposure.
Allergic reactions can be diagnosed by assessing the history of exposure to dust and the development and the progress of symptoms.
History of previous allergic episodes may also help to identify the allergen
The diagnosis can be confirmed by,
Skin test- exposure to allergen like dust mite triggers the allergic response.
Blood test – Specific IgE (radioallergosorbent test (RAST) or ImmunoCAP testing)
- Symptomatic treatment to manage cough, breathlessness
- Topic applications in case of symptoms in eye and on skin
- Antihistamines to relieve itching, sneezing, itchy eyes and nose
- Decongestants to relieve stuffy nose and nasal irrigation with saline water to remove cloggy nose.
- Nasal steroids
- Leukotriene modifiers to block the chemicals produced by immune system
All allergic responses have good prognosis. A complete cure can be given by adopting treatments like immunotherapy.
Anaphylactic shock, asthma, or some infections of the ear are the possible complications.
Disease and Ayurveda
Symptoms in the skin can be correlated to diseases like seetapitta and udarda. Other symptoms can be seen in Swasa and Kasa.
Seetapitta is caused due to exposure to cold and vitiated wind. Kasa and swasa can be caused if there is exposure to dust, polluted air or cold weather.
Purvaroopam- Premonitory Symptoms
- Impaired taste sensation
- Heaviness of body
- Redness of eyes, etc. are the premonitory symptoms of seetapitta.
- In the case of Kasa (cough) throat feels as if irritated by small prickly hairs.
Lakshana Signs and Symptoms
- Itching, Pricking pain and burning sensation of skin
- Cough and sneezing
- Breathlessness and tightness of chest
Seetapitta can be easily managed with medicines. Cough and respiratory symptoms can also be managed accordingly.
Medicines are given internally considering the dosha and suitable topical applications are also used. In severe conditions emesis or purgation can be given. Sometimes long term intake of medicines is needed to boost up the immune system.
Commonly used medicines
- Amrita Rajanyadi Kashayam
- Pachanamrutham Kashayam
- Chiruvilwadi Kashayam
- Haridrakhandam with milk
- Rajanyadi choornam with honey
- Guloochyadi kashayam
- Nimbarajanyadi choornam
- Avipathi choornam
- Indukantham kshayam and ghritam
- Dasamoola rasayanam
- Agasthya rasayanam
- Vilwadi gulika
- The topical application includes Eladi keram, Durvadi keram, Satadauta gritam, etc.
- Vaidyaratnam Oushadasala
- Aryavaidyasala Kottakkal
- SNA Oushadasala
Avoid exposure to dust, clean the house and air, fumigation with herbal drugs like dried turmeric leaves, neem leaves, camphor, Boswellia, etc.
- Turmeric powder and honey
- Basil leaf juice for local application, etc.
Diet rich in omega 3 fatty acid like tuna, salmon, walnut
Vitamin C rich food
- Yoga, Pranayam, and Meditation can help to stay the body healthy and keeps the immune system patent.
- Breathing exercises( like Bhastrika pranayam) can be daily practiced.
Research articles link.