Back pain is one of the most common symptoms today. Causes of back pain may range from simple to complex. Proper diagnosis is important for assessing the appropriate treatment. Here we discuss
- CAUSES of Back Pain
- PATHO-PHYSIOLOGY of Back Pain
- DIAGNOSIS of Back Pain
- TREATMENTS of Back Pain
- EXAMINATIONS of Back Pain
- PROGNOSIS of Back Pain
- COMPLICATIONS of Back Pain
- LOW BACK ACHE AND AYURVEDA
- NIDANA- Ayurvedic CAUSES of Back Pain
- Ayurvedic PURVAROOPAM- PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS of Back Pain
- Ayurvedic SAMPRAPTHI MATURATION of Back Pain
- Ayurvedic LAKSHANA SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS of Back Pain
- Ayurvedic PROGNOSIS of Back Pain
- CHIKITSA- Ayurvedic TREATMENT of Back Pain
- Ayurvedic SAMANA treatment for Back Pain
- Ayurvedic SHODHANA treatment for Back Pain
- COMMONLY USED Ayurvedic MEDICINES for Back Pain
- Ayurvedic Medicines for Internal administration for Back Pain
- Ayurvedic Medicines for External administration for Back Pain
- HOME REMEDIES for Back Pain
- DIET AND BEHAVIOUR for Back Pain
- YOGA for Back Pain
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS of Back Pain
- Back pain is a common disorder involving the muscles, nerves and bones of the back.
- Pain varies from a dull constant ache to a sudden sharp feeling.
- Pain may occur due to muscle or joint strain without a specific cause.
- Pain may radiate towards the thighs and lower limbs.
- Pain aggravated during forward bending and lateral bending.
CAUSES of Back Pain
- Cancer and metastasis
- Disc problems
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY of Back Pain
- The inflammatory or degenerative changes occur in vertebra leads to pain.
- In the case of traumatic injury, the problems may arise due to the impingement of nerves between the vertebrae.
- The disc may become herniated, degenerated or bulging may happen, leads to low backache.
- SPONDYLOSIS-Degeneration of the spinal column
- SPONDYLITIS-Inflammation of vertebra
- SPODYLOLYSIS-Stress fracture in parsinterarticularis of the vertebral arch
- SPONDYLOLISTHESIS-Forward slipping of vertebra
- The radiating pain occurs in the case of sciatica – can occur with a herniated disc if the disc presses on the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerve connects the spine to the legs.
DIAGNOSIS of Back Pain
- EXAMINATIONS of Back Pain
- Movements – Flexion, Extension, Lateral bending
- Tests – Schober’s test, SLR test, Lesegue’s sign, Femoral stretch test
- Tests- Genslen’s test, Gillie’s test, Pump handle test, SLR test
- X – rays
- CT Scan
TREATMENTS of Back Pain
- Most low back pain goes away on its own in two to four weeks. Physiotherapy and pain relievers can help. A few cases may require surgery.
- Medications – Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, Analgesic, Muscle relaxant and Narcotic
- Medical procedure – Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation and Epidural steroid injection
- Therapies – Joint manipulation, Stretching, Massage, Acupuncture and Physical Therapy
PROGNOSIS of Back Pain
- Prognosis is based on the cause of the diseases, duration and condition of the patient
COMPLICATIONS of Back Pain
- Permanent nerve damage
- Stiffened vertebrae
LOW BACK ACHE AND AYURVEDA
- In Ayurveda, low backache is calledKateegraha.
- Kati graham falls under Vata vyadhi or a Vata dosha imbalance disorder.
- Vata vyadhi can be correlated to neurological or neuromuscular disorders. The causes and pathogenesis of diseases caused by vitiation of Vata dosha, in general, are the exclusive cause and pathogenesis ofkati graha.
NIDANA- Ayurvedic CAUSES of Back Pain
- Excess consumption of unctuous, cold food
- Excessive physical exercise.
- Suppression of natural urges.
- Sleeping over uneven beds.
PURVAROOPAM- PREMONITORY SYMPTOMS of Back Pain
- Dull intermittent pain on the low back region on movement.
SAMPRAPTHI MATURATION of Back Pain
- Vata, pitta and kapha dosha move through all channels of circulation. Due to the subtle nature of vata it impels the remaining two doshas.
- The aggravated vata having provoked these two doshas, exacerbated and fills up the empty channels and moves greatly inside them or by getting enveloped by the other doshas.
- The aggravated vata resides in the low back region and produces different kinds of aches and pains.
LAKSHANA SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS of Back Pain
- The dull ache to sharp pricking pain
- Unable to bend forward
- Pain aggravates on constipation
PROGNOSIS of Back Pain
- Curable – sugha sadhya
- Traumatic injuries in the spine are difficult to cure – krichra sadhya
CHIKITSA- TREATMENT of Back Pain
- VALUKA SVEDAM
- KATEEVASTHI-panchaguna taila
- KATEEPICHU-Sahacharadi tailam
Ayurvedic SAMANA treatment for Back Pain
- Rasnasaptakam Kashayam
- Dasamoola kashaya
- Gandharvahasthadi kashaya
- Rasnaerandadi kashaya
- Rasnasapthakam kashaya
- Eranda tailam
- Mahayogaraja guggulu
Ayurvedic SHODHANA treatment for Back Pain
- VASTHI-Erandamooladi yapana vasthi
- SNEHAVIRECHANAM-Eranda tailam
COMMONLY USED Ayurvedic MEDICINES for Back Pain
Ayurvedic Medicines for Internal administration for Back Pain
- dasamoola kashaya
- gandharvahasthadi kashaya
- rasnaerandadi kashaya
- rasnasapthakam kashaya
- eranda sukumaram tailam
- mahayogaraja guggulu
Ayurvedic Medicines for External administration for Back Pain
- Sahacharadi tailam
- Panchaguna tailam
- Mahanarayana tailam
HOME REMEDIES for Back Pain
- Apply heat application on the back region by a towel dipped with hot water
- Massage the painful area for 15 minutes
DIET AND BEHAVIOUR for Back Pain
- Avoid food items which produce vata dosha imbalance like cold and dry food, hard to digest. Because vata imbalance aggravates the symptoms.
- Consume easily digestible food items, cow’s milk
- Avoid heavy exercises which further aggravate degenerated conditions.
- Oil massage on body advised. Which alleviates vata dosha
YOGA for Back Pain