It is estimated that more than 15 % of the world population is affected by arthritis of any kind after the age of 40 and the treatment cost is more than 100 billion per year. The flora and fauna are restricted to a location whereas animals can move anywhere and this is enabled by the presence of locomotors system comprised of bones, muscles, nerves, blood vessels. The basic difference between animals and plants is the capacity of movement. This system is in continuous use and has a greater chance of wear and tear leading to the inflammation of joints. This is termed as Arthritis and the etiology of arthritis list from overuse to hereditary factors to the bacterial infection to trauma.
The major causes of Arthritis are
- Injury. 15 % of Arthritis is developed due to the injuries. An injury of a joint increases the chances of developing Arthritis manifold.
- Aging. 26% of Arthritis developed due to aging.
- Abnormal metabolism- impaired metabolism due to various reasons is one important cause of arthritis.
- Infection- reactive and devastating arthritis are due to infections.
- Heredity- In my clinical experience, heredity plays a key role in causing Arthritis. So Ayurvedic way of living and rejuvenating treatments for the suspected hereditary groups surely delay the onset of the disease and moderate the symptoms on manifestation.
- Overactive immune system: Autoimmune diseases result in Arthritis and so the contribution of this attribute is also countable.
- Overuse: This happens in most of the patients when one part is affected by arthritis. Ayurvedic external applications, Yoga are beneficial for this group.
- Malnutrition: The poverty and abnormal metabolism are causes and even in this century, malnutrition due to poverty is a major factor. A political solution is needed to address this factor.
- Lifestyle: The urbanization and globalization have created the issue and go back to our roots is the only possible solution and the popularization of the Ayurvedic lifestyle is counted in this account.
3 Signs and Symptoms
- Pain : Pain is the most common symptom which compels the patient for the treatment. The crippling pain in the affected joints with moderate to a severe scale ranging pain during work to whole day is the character of Arthritic pain. The pain is severe in acute conditions and moderate in chronic conditions.
- Stiffness: The joint mobility is affected by the causes of arthritis and this results in the stiffness of the joints. The synovial cavity and the contents are worsened by arthritis. As per the Ayurvedic concepts, the Ama (toxins) are accumulated in the joints and this causes the stiffness.
- Swelling: The inflammation of the affected joints will appear along with the pain in the very onset. the word arthritis is derived from Greek literally meaning Joint inflammation, showcasing the importance of inflammation in the Arthritis. Swelling may be the outcome of infection as in reactive arthritis or local wear and tear of the joints. Ayurveda considers the condition with swelling as Ama condition and internal and external medications
- Redness: As per the Ayurvedic concept, the increase of Vata factor along with Pitta is the reason.
- Decreased range of motion: The stiffness in the joints and anatomical deformities in chronic conditions results in decreased range of motion.
The goal of treatment of arthritis is to reduce inflammation and pain, improve blood circulation, and prevent articular damage. The treatment of arthritis depends on the form of arthritis is present, its location, age, severity, persistence, and any underlying background medical conditions of the patient. There is no general format of management and each treatment program must be customized for the individual patient depending on the signs and symptoms. Line of treatment can incorporate home remedies, nonprescription and prescription medications, and surgical interventions. Weight reduction is good for weight-bearing joint arthritis and yoga can be incorporated for improving the joint functions.
5 Natural Home Remedies
Patients with arthritis may benefit from natural remedies as Arthritis is a chronic disease and ask for long term bowel friendly treatment. Herbal remedies with proven effects are listed below.
- A decoction of Porcupine root, Deodar and dried ginger twice daily for 45 days.
- A decoction of Ricinus and dried ginger for 60 days.
- Local application of milk decoction of Strychnos for 45 minutes for 21 days.
- Bandaging inflamed joint with Murivenna (Ref Pharmacopeia Govt Ayurveda College Trivandrum Pg 174 Ed2002)
- Drink prepared with Vitex negundo leaves and Ricinus roots twice daily for 90 days.
- Bandaging with Nagaradi- manikunthirikkadi churna .
- Bandaging with sesame oil mixed with medicinal camphor.
- Drink water boiled with Asparagus and Ashwagandha.
- A decoction prepared with Dasamula ( Ten roots).
- Drink water boiled with Guduchi.
6 Ayurvedic Treatment Options
Ayurveda is an Indian medical science which uses herbs and minerals for treatment and it’s attaining World’s attention with its unique diagnostic tools and treatment practices. Arthritis is addressed by Ayurveda on its basic Tridosha theory and this theory explains all physiologic and pathologic metabolism. So this science can face any challenge of any time with its tools and herbs. The chronic disorders like Arthritis require total correction of the cause and prolonged management, Ayurveda excels with the cost-effective side effect free herbal therapy. The treatment comprises internal and external medications along with a special diet and yoga.
6.1 Internal Medicines.
Please consult a qualified Ayurvedic doctor before taking these medicines.
- Dhanwantharam qwath tablet Two tablets ( 7.5 mg) twice daily before food.
- Sahacharadi qwath tablet Two tablets ( 7.5 mg) twice daily before food.
- Maharasnadi qwath tablet Two tablets ( 7.5 mg) twice daily before food
- Karaskara tailam 10 drops with hot water in the early morning.
- Karaskara ghritham 1 teaspoon at bedtime
- Shadharanam tablet Two tablets twice daily before food
- Vaiswanara churna 1 teaspoon twice daily.
- Triphala churna 1 teaspoon twice daily.
- Rasnasaptakam tablet Two tablets ( 7.5 mg) twice daily before food
- Prasaranyadi tablet Two tablets ( 7.5 mg) twice daily before food along with hot milk.
- Patented medicines like Rumalaya tablet, Rumalaya forte tablet, Rymanyl Capsule, Arthrella, Arthoyog forte, Sallaki 400, Sallaki 600, Sallaki MR, Sallaki Plus, Nucart OA, Vathapy capsule, Rheumacalm tablet, Ostikot tablet, Rhuko, etc can be used as per patient’s condition.
6.2 External Application medicines.
General Procedure in the external application of Ayurvedic massage oils
Take a copper vessel and heat in the flame. Take away from the flame and pour required oil for massage in the vessel and wait to get it to the comfortable temperature. Never heat the prepared oils directly in the flame. Massage the lukewarm oil gently over the inflamed parts and wash with water boiled with herbs.
- Dhanvantharam tailam
- Nagaradi churna
- Kottam Chukkadi churna.
- Kolakulathadi churna.
- Sahacharadi tailam
- MahaNarayana tailam
- Prasaranee tailam
Ayurveda recognizes the importance of an ideal diet from the very beginning as it has described Food, Sleep and Sex as the tripods of life. So an ideal diet considering the climate, geography, age, sex is suggested.
- Include fiber and natural food available in local places in the diet.
- Take all fruits and vegetables in the available season.
- Include all type of food- grains, cereals, pulses, leaves, minerals, animal origins in the food.
- Take fresh food.
- Ayurveda advises two sessions of food per day preferably in the morning and in the evening before sunset.
- Avoid fried, refrigerated and preserved food.
- Take food in a calm environment with loved ones and enjoy all the taste of the food in the order of sweet, salt, sour.
- Drink boiled water with herbs.
- Don’t take a shower or sleep immediately after food.
- Take food when you feel the early food is completely digested otherwise go for fasting.
Yoga usually does not aggravate arthritis when performed at levels that do not cause joint pain. Yoga can be helpful in several ways. The Asanas performed as part of Yog strengthens the muscles around joints. The regular, controlled and maintained Asanas improves the joint mobility and freezing of joints. Yoga Asanas is advised to perform during the episodes of pain and it relieves pain by stretching the muscles and draining lactic acid accumulated in the joints. The Asanas helps the weight-bearing joints by removing obesity and thereby reducing body weight.
Here is a list of Asanas which will surely complement the patient to get rid of throbbing arthritic pain.
- Tiriang Mukha Ekapada in Dandasana
- Ardha Galavasana
- Upavistha Konasana
- Baddha Trikonasana
- Ubhaya Padangusthasana
- Adho Mukha Vajrasana
- Padangustha Dhanurasana
- Parivrtta Surya Yantrasana
9 Need a consultation
Please contact our consulting team for free online consultation. An eminent holistic healer, Dr. Rajesh Nair, BA MS is the head of our team. He completed his degree in Ayurvedic medicine and surgery from prestigious Vaidyaratnam Ayurveda College of the University of Calicut, specializes in work-related stress, women’s issues, diabetes, PCOS, arthritis, male and female sexual problems, and infertility.
Over the years he has continued to uncover previously lost herbal remedies to deliver natural, safe healing. His pioneering work has been published in such leading publications Ayurveda Magazine, Vaidya and Live Journal.
Often, he is an invited speaker at the Ayurveda Centre, Hockenheim, Germany and has led numerous seminars for the Ayurveda Medical Association of India. He’s currently the chief editor of https://www.Ayurveda-amai.org
10 Where to buy