Gugguluthiktakam is an ayurvedic formulation mentioned in ashtangahridaya, prepared with its key ingredient being guggulu – an oleo-gum resin from the plant- Commiphora mukul(Indian bdellium tree).Guggulu is a versatile drug and due to its paranormal properties ,it is widely used in treating variety of diseases like arthritis,obesity,pain ,fracture,etc.
In Sanskrit, GUGGUL means one that protects from Diseases. Thikthakam is a group of five drugs which includes Nimba(Azadirachta indica),Guduchi(Tinospora cordiflia),Vasa(Adathoda vasica),Patola(Trichosanthes dioica),Kantakari(Solanum xanthocarpum).
- It has got anti-inflammatory property , anti-rheumatic property and is widely used in treating arthritis, joint pain etc.
- Studies reveals its hypolipdemic effect that helps to lower LDL and total cholesterol levels.
- It is used in non healing wounds, abscess, sinuses and fistula.
- Useful in the treatment of psoriasis, atopic dermatitis, allergic dermatitis, hives.
- It is also beneficial in skin diseases of Vata-Kapha predominance.
- Reputed in tubercular glands, boils, scabies, eczema, syphilis and anemia.
- Used in treating lumbar and cervical Spondylosis.
Guggulutiktaka ghrita is a ghee formulation widely used in snehapana(preparatory procedure of pancakarma)and also in various skin diseases. Leaving out the ghee part ,the decoction prepared out(1part of coarse powder of drugs boiled in 16parts of water and reduced to 4 parts) of it is called guggulutiktaka kashayam.
|Sanskrit name||Botanical name|
|Gajopakulya(Gaja pippali)||Scindapsus officinalis|
|Arushkara||Purified Semecarpus anacardium|
Take 5-15ml kashayam before food, twice daily or as prescribed by the physician.
If used in excess, found to induce gastric irritation.
Gugulipid, an ethyl acetate extract of the oleoresin, standardized at CDRI, has been marketed in India since 1988 as a hypolipidemic agent. It contains Z-guggulsterones and E-guggulsterones which are purported to be the compounds responsible for the hypolipidemic activity of the guggulu .
The crude ethyl acetate extract of gum guggul is found to suppress inflammatory mediators such as IL-2, TNF-α, IL-β. No inhibition was observed in the case of anti -inflammatory cytokine IL-10. Guggul can be used for the treatment of pro-inflammatory chronic diseases as it suppresses activation of pro-inflammatory transcription factor NF-kb.
Κb.GTG(Gugguluthikthakam ghritam) has found to reduce the expression of both pro-inflammatory cytokines. The effect was more pronounced in IL-1β gene than TNF-α. Both TNF-α and IL-1β are primary mediators in the pathogenesis of chronic inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis and are potent stimulators of synovial fibroblasts, osteoclasts and chondrocytes. As TNF-α is involved in joint swelling and IL-1β in cell invasion and erosive cartilage damage , the inhibition, of both these proinflammatory cytokine production, plays a pivotal role in controlling inflammatory arthritis. The lipid base helps in better absorption and delivery of the active constituents.
Tinospora cordifolia (willd.) Hook. F. and Thoms.
It is an immune modulatory plant with several other pharmacological properties. It is traditionally used in compound formulations for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. The alcoholic extract of T. cordifolia has been found to exert anti-inflammatory actions in models of acute and subacute inflammation.
RECOMMENDED DIET, BEHAVIOUR, WARNING
- Avoid all non- vegetarian diet.
- Include more leafy vegetables in the diet.
- Chilly,tamarind and salt must be discarded from the diet.
- Those with skin diseases must avoid curd,wine,day sleep,indulgence in sex
- Avoid overeating, intake of uncooked foods,incompatible foods.
- Take light food and include fresh fruits.
- Avoid excessive stress and alcohol.
- Follow the specific yogaasanas like Bhujangasana,shalabhasana for conditions like lumbar spondylosis.