Piles or hemorrhoids have become a common problem. Most people would have experienced and suffered the difficulties of hemorrhoids. They are formed by the engorgement of blood vessels and the overlying tissue which lines the inside of the anus and lower rectum. These engorged blood vessels may then form into one or more small swellings called hemorrhoids. These are formed at about 2-4cm above the opening of the anus. If the hemorrhoids are small, it does not cause much pain. Larger hemorrhoids may cause a mucous discharge, some pain, irritation and itching. Hemorrhoids are classified into four grades depending on their size and severity.
Symptoms vary depending on the placement of the hemorrhoids. Internal hemorrhoids do not cause much pain whereas external hemorrhoids cause bleeding, pain when passing stool and itchiness.
Reasons for formation of hemorrhoids
Although the reason for formation of hemorrhoids is not clear, it is said that some activities increase the chances of developing it. These include:
- Family history
- Malfunctioning of the liver
- Habitual weight lifting
Treatment for hemorrhoids includes diet modification to avoid constipation, application of ointments and creams, local anesthetics, banding, etc. The treatment depends on the severity and the size of the hemorrhoids.
Ayurveda and hemorrhoids
According to Ayurveda, hemorrhoids are called Arsha Roga. These are caused by the imbalance in any of the three doshas. A sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy eating habits are the main factors leading to the formation of piles. The symptoms of hemorohids depend on which type of dosha is dominant.
- Pitta type of hemorrhoids is usually soft and reddish in color and there will be bleeding.
- Vata type of hemorrohids is hard and darker in color accompanied by acute pain and constipation.
- Kapha type of hemorrohids is slimy to touch and is large and soft and whitish in color. Digestive problems accompany it.
Ayurvedic treatment for hemorrhoids includes reducing constipation, providing relief from pain and reducing the swellings. Ayurvedic herbs such as cassia fistula, mimosa pudica, ailanthus excels, trikatu, etc. are prescribed for the treatment of hemorrhoids.
Many Ayurvedic doctors prescribe Pilex ointment for treating hemorrhoids and varicose veins. Produced by Himalaya Herbal Healthcare, it is an effective formulation for relief from pain and itching caused by piles.
Knowing more about Pilex Ointment
Pilex ointment has anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties. When applied on the affected part, it helps to shrink the hemorrhoids and control bleeding. Applying the ointment on the opening of the anus aids in the smooth elimination of stool.
Ingredients of Pilex Ointment
Pilex ointment is formulated from extracts of herbs. Some of the primary ingredients and their respective uses are listed in the table below:
|Lajjalu||promotes the process of healing|
|Bhringaraja||contains anti-inflammatory properties, is a pain reliever|
|Nirgundi||helps reduce painful swelling|
|Zergul||helps treat varicose veins and hemorrhoids|
|Karpoora||helps regenerate cells and tissues|
|Tankana||helps in healing|
|Yashad Bhasma||have antiseptic and astringent properties|
Relief from hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids can cause acute pain and discomfort. Most people feel embarrassed to talk about it and hence put off getting medical help in the early stages. Below are some tips to help you get through this condition and hasten your path to recovery:
- Eating lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and bran cereal can help avoid constipation.
- Avoid taking painkillers that contain codeine as they are a common cause of constipation.
- Garlic is an effective remedy to stop the growth of bleeding piles.
- Eating carrots, either raw or cooked, helps reduce bleeding from piles.
- Daily consumption of four figs that are soaked in water at night and eaten in the morning helps to avoid constipation.
- Drinking buttermilk to which rock salt, ginger and peppercorns have been added twice a day can help reduce pain due to piles.
- Applying icy cold aloe vera to painful hemorrhoid aids in alleviating the pain, burning and itching. Leaves of the aloe vera plant should be removed of its spike, sliced and frozen.
Eating fiber rich foods, having an active life and using herbal ointments like Pilex can help you in controlling piles and getting relief from it.